Sims 3 Unknown error preventing launch

by _Christina_Kat_G

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Unknown error preventing launch

★★★ Novice

so i also get the infamous 'unknown error occurred' message after installing the game. I tried the fix everyone was mentioning about copying the folder of the game that doesn't work into the package contents of the sims 3, but that also didn't work. I don't know if it is the Mac Book pro or if it is because of the game? the EA support didn't really help so I am really struggling here. i also did download the Seasons expansion pack right after the sims 3 and neither want to launch.

please please please someone help.

Message 1 of 19 (1,313 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 Unknown error preventing launch

@_Christina_Kat_G  Since there are a couple of different things going on here, it's best to start with a clean uninstall of TS3.  You'll need to manually remove the game's hidden library files, since the uninstaller won't touch them.  Here's how:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Next, download the base game only and run the Super Patch (digital download version).  The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own, and at any rate, running the Super Patch won't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

You can try to launch here, but you'll likely get another unknown error.  This is because your graphics card isn't properly recognized by the game.  To force recognition, you need to edit two .sgr files inside the game's program files.  Luckily, Bluebellflora has already written the proper text for your card.  You can just download her work and add it to your own files.

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready

Now test the game again.  If it works, which it should, you can install Seasons.  This isn't one of the packs that installs incorrectly, so there's no need to copy its files anywhere.  The four packs that are affected are Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living, so if you do ever want to install those, you'll need to apply two more workarounds.  (In case you're curious, those would be steps 4 and 5 in this guide.)  But in the meantime, Seasons alone should run without issues.

If any of the above doesn't work, or you'd like me to clarify any of the steps, please feel free to ask.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 19 (1,258 Views)

All Replies

@_Christina_Kat_G  There are three different fixes for the unknown error, and you might need to apply all three, depending on your specs.  So please start by listing those; here's how:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

Please also list the packs you've installed, whether you've uninstalled any of them so far, which pack you tried to fix by copying its folder, and where that folder went.  It's a lot easier to talk specifics than use general phrases like "one or more of the following packs" and "your newest pack by release date."

Message 2 of 19 (1,274 Views)

★★★ Novice

thank you so much fro trying to help, i have MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6. processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3. Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB. i am not running anti viruses and i have installed the sims 3 base game as well as the Seasons expansion pack. i don't use mods.

Message 3 of 19 (1,270 Views)

★★★ Novice

also i tried copying Seasons foldder into the sims 3 transgaming folder as well as the add ons folder.

Message 4 of 19 (1,269 Views)

@_Christina_Kat_G  Since there are a couple of different things going on here, it's best to start with a clean uninstall of TS3.  You'll need to manually remove the game's hidden library files, since the uninstaller won't touch them.  Here's how:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Next, download the base game only and run the Super Patch (digital download version).  The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own, and at any rate, running the Super Patch won't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

You can try to launch here, but you'll likely get another unknown error.  This is because your graphics card isn't properly recognized by the game.  To force recognition, you need to edit two .sgr files inside the game's program files.  Luckily, Bluebellflora has already written the proper text for your card.  You can just download her work and add it to your own files.

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready

Now test the game again.  If it works, which it should, you can install Seasons.  This isn't one of the packs that installs incorrectly, so there's no need to copy its files anywhere.  The four packs that are affected are Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living, so if you do ever want to install those, you'll need to apply two more workarounds.  (In case you're curious, those would be steps 4 and 5 in this guide.)  But in the meantime, Seasons alone should run without issues.

If any of the above doesn't work, or you'd like me to clarify any of the steps, please feel free to ask.

Message 5 of 19 (1,259 Views)

★★★ Novice

Allright i'm in the process of deleting all my files.. just a question, should I delete all files with the name Sims in it? i have ones that say sims3Launcher.resources.dll and a bunch of others?

Message 6 of 19 (1,248 Views)

@_Christina_Kat_G  It's easiest to start with the uninstaller that comes with TS3.  If that doesn't work, you can drag the entire Sims 3 folder (in Applications) to the trash; this will get rid of all the program files at once.  Then follow Bluebellflora's guide to removing the hidden library files, which are stored in a different place.

Message 7 of 19 (1,244 Views)

★★★ Novice

understood, i did all that and followed the steps to delete the hidden files but there are still a bunch of sims files on my computer afterwards. should i delete these as well?

Message 8 of 19 (1,236 Views)

@_Christina_Kat_G  Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, you should delete all of that.  I don't even know what some of it is, but at least a few of those files belong inside the program files that should have been deleted.  I guess if you copied folders around, that would explain what you're seeing.  At any rate, you'll be reinstalling from scratch, so it's best to start with nothing TS3-related on your computer.

Also, just in case you didn't know, searching through a Finder window won't bring up the hidden Library files you need to remove.  You'll have to open Library manually first and then go looking.  (I think the search function works once you've opened Library, but it's still best to just go through the list folder by folder, or else you run the risk of missing something.)

Message 9 of 19 (1,216 Views)

★★★ Novice

ok cool, thanks! yeah I first manually did those but then saw all these others! 

Message 10 of 19 (1,209 Views)