Re: Sims 3 Store and Custom Content Won't Install

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Store and Custom Content Won't Install

★ Novice

I've recently redownloaded The Sims 3 on my Macbook and have downloaded some store and custom content. Today I tried to install some store content and when I click install nothing happens. I tried to move my cache folder but all that did was uninstall all of my previous content. I've tried quitting the launcher, quitting origin, and even restarted my computer but none of that has worked. If there is any other way to fix this please let me know. 

Message 1 of 4 (826 Views)

Accepted Solution

@alliewinkler_05  For future reference, store content won't install, and throws an error, if you remove some hidden Origin files that reference your ownership of the base game.  Repairing the game in Origin restores those files.  So if you were to run the Origin reset tool or do a clean uninstall and reinstall, both of which remove these files, you'd need to repair afterwards.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (794 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@alliewinkler_05  As a test, please move the entire Sims 3 user folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder with no content, and try installing one item into that folder.  You may need to close the launcher and open it again after downloading the item, and if you don't see anything happening, make sure to check the Dock for a second plumbob icon that corresponds to the launcher's installer; it's often hidden behind the launcher itself.

Moving the user folder will remove all your current content: saves, store stuff, mods and cc, etc.  You can restore it later, but the first question is whether content installs properly under any circumstances.  Once we know that, we can figure out how to proceed.

Please also let me know whether it would be difficult to reinstall all your store and custom content.  It's often simpler to do so, but there's a way around that as well if reinstalling would take too long.

Message 2 of 4 (806 Views)

★ Novice

I tried that and it didn’t work but I fixed the problem by repairing the game on origin. Not really sure what happened though. The issue is solved though so thanksStandard smile

Message 3 of 4 (799 Views)

@alliewinkler_05  For future reference, store content won't install, and throws an error, if you remove some hidden Origin files that reference your ownership of the base game.  Repairing the game in Origin restores those files.  So if you were to run the Origin reset tool or do a clean uninstall and reinstall, both of which remove these files, you'd need to repair afterwards.

Message 4 of 4 (795 Views)