Sims 3 Mac error when starting game

by Kitiaraven

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Mac error when starting game

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I am installing my older Sims 3 game on my Mac Powerbook and have done everything suggested in several forums to fix it. I have gone around the launcher and still get an error. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days now. I am pretty tech savvy and this is the first time I haven't been able to figure out the issue. I installed the Super Patch, I tried going around the launcher, I have uninstalled and re-installed. I play World of Warcraft on this Mac and have no graphic issues. So I know it isn't the machine itself. 

The attachments are: Uknown Error is when I try to just launch the game. The second error shown "Unable to Start Game....." is the error I get when I go around the launcher. 

I'm on:

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.3

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDr3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Message 1 of 7 (1,080 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 Mac error when starting game

@Kitiaraven

It's most probably a memory issue, you need to purge RAM before you launch the game, frequently during gameplay, and before you save. You have a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro right?

Sims 3 can only access up to 2Gb RAM but OS X makes loads available. There are huge memory leaks and the Launcher uses nearly 2Gb RAM just to load so bypassing the Launcher is always a good idea. Can you upgrade the RAM? If it is the 2011 model it can support up to 16Gb RAM. Whilst you will still get memory issues unless you purge regularly, they won't happen as frequently.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (1,254 Views)

All Replies

@Kitiaraven

It's most probably a memory issue, you need to purge RAM before you launch the game, frequently during gameplay, and before you save. You have a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro right?

Sims 3 can only access up to 2Gb RAM but OS X makes loads available. There are huge memory leaks and the Launcher uses nearly 2Gb RAM just to load so bypassing the Launcher is always a good idea. Can you upgrade the RAM? If it is the 2011 model it can support up to 16Gb RAM. Whilst you will still get memory issues unless you purge regularly, they won't happen as frequently.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 7 (1,255 Views)

★ Novice

It's a Powerbook. Not sure I can easily add to it without spending a ton of money. They're expensive to have someone work on them. So I basically can't play Sims 3 or the new 4 at all? I find it really crazy that my old crappy Dell laptop.....really old....will play Sims 4 but my powerful Mac can't. Ugh, aggravating. 

Message 3 of 7 (1,053 Views)

★ Novice

I just found the forum for Mac users! Standard smile I have never done a "purge" before and will try that as well!

Message 4 of 7 (1,049 Views)

@Kitiaraven

If it has an i7 processor, is running El Capitan and has an AMD Radeon 6770M with 1Gb VRAM it is definitely not a PowerBook. If you click on the Apple logo then About This Mac you should see what model it is above the specs. you've already posted, for example Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro.

The RAM is very easy and relatively cheap to replace yourself. Once we've established your exact model Mac I can give you a link to the RAM to buy Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 7 (1,040 Views)

★ Novice

Yea, I meant Macbook Pro. I'm half asleep this week, seriously. lol It's a late 2011. I am going to try the purge thing and see if that works.

Message 6 of 7 (1,030 Views)

@Kitiaraven

Lol. Purging RAM will definitely help.

Upgrading the RAM is very simple. Apple have even provided a support page to help (even though the article says 8Gb is the maximum, your Mac will support 16Gb RAM) - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201165

The RAM you need is 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM in equal pairs so 2x4Gb or 2x8Gb - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-KTA-MB1333S-4G-SODIMM-MacBook/dp/B00B2UWR44/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 7 (1,024 Views)