Sims 3 Glitchy Screen (MacOS Catelina)

by gracecornell_

Original Post

Sims 3 Glitchy Screen (MacOS Catelina)

★★★ Newbie

The first time I downloaded and opened the sims 

3 game updated for the current version of MacOS Catelina, things ran smoothly. After that though each time I open it up the screen is flashing and pixelated and glitchy. Any way on how to fix this? I was so hype that it got updated and now I can’t play it again Frown 

Message 3 of 16 (1,077 Views)

Red/Blue squares??

★★★★ Novice

so i downloaded the sims 3 64bit!

i have a macbook air 2020 and i am experiencing some weird graphical issuesFrown

it’s red blue and white boxes that are tiny but cover the whole of the screen?

they flash and move however when i turn edge smoothing off it disappears.. 

plz help bc i cant live without edge smoothing on

Message 1 of 16 (1,062 Views)

Re: Red/Blue squares??

@bulletbuster2004  Could you post a screenshot?  Put the game in windowed mode (cmd-enter), then click cmd-shift-4 and drag the cursor over the section of screen you want to capture.

Please also attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You'll neeed to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 16 (1,046 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Glitchy Screen (MacOS Catelina)

@gracecornell_  Please go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and delete options.ini.  You'll need to reset all your in-game options, but don't do that yet.  Just see whether the game looks normal again.

When you do change graphics settings, be sure to do it from the Main Menu, and quit to desktop before loading a save.

Message 4 of 16 (1,063 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@gracecornell_ I had this problem too!! I tested it and it was down to edge smoothing being turned onFrown however the game doesn't look good without it on
Message 5 of 16 (1,054 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict unfortunately that doesn't change it unless edge smoothing is offFrown
Message 6 of 16 (1,052 Views)

@bulletbuster2004  Since you have the same issue, I've merged your other post with this thread.  Please provide your deviceconfig, as described.  It would be really helpful to know what hardware you have.

Message 7 of 16 (1,034 Views)

★★★★ Novice

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)

Processor 

1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3

Memory

8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

Graphics

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

Message 8 of 16 (1,015 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@bulletbuster2004 I’ve had the same issue.
Message 9 of 16 (977 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue. If I have edge smoothing turned on, the whole screen suddenly has heaps of small horizontal black lines moving all over it. I tried to take a screenshot but they disappeared whenever I tried to take a pic of it?! Super weird. Also, I bought the Supernatural pack recently and now when I go into CAS the sim hair is always super glitchy, with pixels moving all over it? I don't really know how to explain it. I've attached a photo though, it looks even weirder on normal hair.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 2.00.40 pm.png

Message 10 of 16 (950 Views)