Re: Sims 3 Download Stuck at 100% (Mac)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Community Manager

@madiwise Hi,

Are you able to play the base game? Or is the base game stuck at 100% installation without letting you proceed?

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to assist you.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 11 of 20 (2,714 Views)

★ Novice

Hey Nils!

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else. The base game is stuck at 100% and not letting me proceed. It first tells me that I'll have to put in the installation key, and then I get a warning sign about playing the game when its not fully downloaded. Yet it shows the bar 100% full. If I try to play through some of the installed expansion packs I get the exact same thing occuring.

I managed to launch the game from my desktop but then it only lasted about 10 minutes and crashed when I was still in create a sim. Ive managed to relaunch it 3 times, and it crashed after the same amount of time at every attempt.

Please help!! Disappointed

Yasmine

Message 12 of 20 (2,593 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My Sims 3 game is refusing to launch altogether. When I select "Play" from my Origin library menu, a pop-up screen tells me that the game will be opened via Origin, and that I need to type in the product code. I select play, and another pop-up screen lets me know that "launching a game while a download is in process can negatively impact gameplay." I hit the play button, and the Sims 3 logo pops up in my Dock with the "actively running" dot underneath; however, the Sims 3 Launchpad pop-up window never shows up. I also never get a prompt screen to type in aforementioned product code. The game used to run perfectly fine until I tried to install my expansion packs and stuff packs. I have Island Paradise, the World Adventures/Generations Expansion Bundle, Pets, Seasons, Showtime, the Monte Vista/Hidden Springs Worlds Bundle, Master Suites Stuff, Dragon Valley, 70s, 80's and 90s Stuff, Movie Stuff, and Ambitions. My base game was a part of the Sims 3 Starter Pack that came with Late Night and High End Loft Stuff. I also bought the Town Life Stuff from the Origin Store. I spent several hours downloading all of them onto my Mac, and now I am unable to play the game at all!

Message 13 of 20 (2,581 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Nils Hey! Any updates on what we can do to resolve the issue based on the information that myself and @artsyginger5 have provided?

Message 14 of 20 (2,562 Views)

★★ Novice

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm in the same boat and I have tried everything!

Message 15 of 20 (2,533 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi- Just want to add I'm having this same issue. I'm running a 2013 macbook air with lots of space. I have played this game before on this computer with this origin account without issue, but I uninstalled everything about a year ago and took a break. So I know the game CAN run on here, and I know the problem is new. I am convinced the problem lies with Origin and its launcher, not with the sims game. I want to add that sims4 can play normally. I'll try to be detailed so someone can tell me what else I can do.

My steps-When the game+expansions were finished downloading I was prompted to install them so I did, and after they were all done I click play and am told that there is a download in progress even though the list is empty and everything is finished and installed. I said play anyway, the game launcher pops up, I click play, I'm told to enter my registration code, I do, and it says "exception raised would you like to debug" and wether I say yes or no it quits. This is when I go to the internet for help.

Initially I tried:

-launching then quitting over and over by launching via each individual expansion pack, which each prompted me to update every time which I did.

-Changing the preferences settings for origin listed above

-changing my computer settings that were listed above

-I saw a thread on the sims3 website about changing the code for the graphics cards files

-clearing caches

-entering other peoples registration codes I got off the internet

Then I uninstalled sims3 and the expansions via the sims3uninstaller, uninstalled origin, went through all traces of the files and caches and put them in the trash and then emptied my trash, restarted my computer, redownloaded origin and the sims3 base game with NO expansion packs, and tried to launch it again and was told there was still something downloading! I opened the launcher anyway, tried to play without installing the game update, was told to enter my registration code, got the "debug" message and it quit, launched again, installed the update I was prompted to earlier, launched again, registration code, "debug" message. And then I typed this novel.

Anyone who has any insight is welcome to reply. 

Message 16 of 20 (2,512 Views)

@chicken422

There are various things that may help to explain Sims 3 on Macs a bit better:

1. The game is not native to macOS. Instead it is the Windows version 'wrapped' using Cider, kind of like an emulator. The game thinks it is running in Windows when it isn't. This is the root of most of the issues with the game on Macs. Sims 4 is native in macOS which is why it runs so much better.
  2. The debug error is mostly likely caused by a memory issue. You need to purge RAM before you load the game, frequently during gameplay and before you save. If you've upgraded your version of macOS since last playing the chances are that the OS is now using more RAM. The game is only capable of accessing 2Gb RAM, no matter how much you have installed, and it leaks horribly.
  3. You do not need Origin to actually play the game, only to install it if you're playing the digital download version. Once installed you can launch the game from within your Applications folder.
  4. Uninstalling Origin and Sims 3 has to be done properly. For Origin you drag the app to the Trash then run the Origin reset tool, for Sims 3 you have to do it manually.
  5. Editing the graphics card files is only necessary if your Mac is listed in this thread, or is newer.
  6. Only ever update the game manually, never through the Launcher (link in my signature below)
  7. Install the base game, patch, then install an EP, load the game to see if it is still working, rinse and repeat. 
  8. Entering other peoples' product codes that they've stupidly posted online? Never a good idea!

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 17 of 20 (2,502 Views)

★ Novice

DUDE What ????????

Message 18 of 20 (1,972 Views)

★★★ Newbie
did anyone know how to solve it on mac
Message 19 of 20 (1,859 Views)

@sharonosmi  If you're having trouble downloading TS3 onto a mac, please first make sure you don't have any game files on your computer.  Here's how to find them:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Before trying to download again, please run the Origin reset tool for macs:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If you still can't download, make sure you have enough free storage on your computer.  You can check this by clicking the apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting About This Mac, and then Storage.

If none of this helps, please post back listing the packs you're trying to download as well as any you already have installed.  Please also provide the specs of your mac, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 20 of 20 (1,848 Views)