Sims 3 Base Game Unknown Error

by innerbebe_

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Base Game Unknown Error

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi, so I have purchased the sims 3 and several expansion pack through origin, and I did not have any problem till yesterday that I decided to uninstall sims 3 completely and then install it again. 

I've tried it numerous time, but I still get an unknown error for the base game without any packs installed. I've made sure that I've uninstalled and deleted everything properly, and have read bluebellflora's thread, I have repaired my disk, uninstalled and re-installed origin and deleted its cache, etc, but no avail. Meanwhile, my sibling who uses basically the same model of mac, has no problem launching sims 3, but she hasn't uninstalled it ever since she installed it. I really cannot figure what the problem is and I deeply regret that I uninstalled sims 3 yesterday Frown Any help please? I also have attached the info about my Mac.

EDIT: This is my first time ever getting an unknown error from the base game, but I've gotten them before with expansion pack icons which were easy to fix. 

Message 1 of 5 (1,075 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 Base Game Unknown Error

[ Edited ]

@innerbebe_  You're the third player recently (that I know of) to mention that TS3 wouldn't launch after uninstalling University Life.  We're not sure why this is happening or how to fix it—reinstalling UL doesn't seem to help.  There is one step I didn't suggest before, which is bypassing the launcher entirely.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-how-to-bypass-the-launcher-on-a-mac/

If that doesn't help and you want to keep troubleshooting, I can suggest a couple of other things to try.

• Clean uninstall (yet again), install the base game, run the Super Patch, do the graphics edits, install University Life.  If the game throws an unknown error, try bypassing the launcher.
  • Try adding the edited .sgr files to UL's folder as well.  The path is (right-click on the TS3 icon in Applications) > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > AddOns > (right-click on UL icon) > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > EA > UL > Game > Bin.
  • Install Island Paradise too (it's newer than UL).  You've followed the video to place Late Night's files in the folder for Generations; make sure that the UL files are already in IP's folder in the same way.  Try to launch through the launcher and while bypassing it.
  • (Also, just for my own curiosity, right-click on the folder from UL landed in IP and choose "Get Info."  How big in GB is it?)
  • If that doesn't help, do a clean uninstall (yet again), create a new user with admin rights on your computer, install the base game only, Super Patch, and edit the .sgr files.

I'm not sure these steps will work.  It's difficult to test, as not everyone sees the issue, and of course no one wants to try to recreate it if their games are running smoothly.  But it would be really useful to know whether anything helps.  If not, we'll try to think of some other ways to troubleshoot as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,000 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@innerbebe_  I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between now and before, but it could be that you're installing TS3 in High Sierra rather than your original OS.  HS takes more resources than its predecessors, and some players with similar specs to yours have found that they could no longer run the game after updating from Sierra.  Your processor is below recommended requirements, and you have only an integrated graphics card, so your system was borderline already.

Having said that, anyone installing TS3 on your particular computer these days would need to edit the game's .sgr files to force recognition of the graphics card.  Bluebellflora has a guide for that too, with a confirmed fix specifically for your model (macbook air 7,1).  It's probably easiest to work with just the base game for now; if you've installed any other packs, another clean uninstall is the place to start, followed by a reinstall of the base game only.  Then run the Super Patch (digital download version), regardless of whether the game thinks it's already patched.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

https://bluebellflora.com/fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/

If this graphics fix doesn't work for you, please post back listing which packs you originally had installed.  (It might matter.)

P.S.  Your screenshot includes your computer's serial number.  Please either edit that out or list the specs within the text of your post.

Message 2 of 5 (1,061 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi, thank you for taking the time and trying to help me. I just went and edited the .sgr files using Bluebellflora's guide, and I did the super patch. I had done this before, but I was hoping it would work this time but no luck Frown
Ugh.. I should've never uninstalled the game in first place. It's my fault.
Also, thank you for pointing that out about the screenshot, I have edited it.

So I had seasons, generations, late night and high-end loft stuff. And then just 2,3 days ago I bought ambitions, university life and island paradise.

Message 3 of 5 (1,025 Views)

[ Edited ]

@innerbebe_  You're the third player recently (that I know of) to mention that TS3 wouldn't launch after uninstalling University Life.  We're not sure why this is happening or how to fix it—reinstalling UL doesn't seem to help.  There is one step I didn't suggest before, which is bypassing the launcher entirely.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-how-to-bypass-the-launcher-on-a-mac/

If that doesn't help and you want to keep troubleshooting, I can suggest a couple of other things to try.

• Clean uninstall (yet again), install the base game, run the Super Patch, do the graphics edits, install University Life.  If the game throws an unknown error, try bypassing the launcher.
  • Try adding the edited .sgr files to UL's folder as well.  The path is (right-click on the TS3 icon in Applications) > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > AddOns > (right-click on UL icon) > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > EA > UL > Game > Bin.
  • Install Island Paradise too (it's newer than UL).  You've followed the video to place Late Night's files in the folder for Generations; make sure that the UL files are already in IP's folder in the same way.  Try to launch through the launcher and while bypassing it.
  • (Also, just for my own curiosity, right-click on the folder from UL landed in IP and choose "Get Info."  How big in GB is it?)
  • If that doesn't help, do a clean uninstall (yet again), create a new user with admin rights on your computer, install the base game only, Super Patch, and edit the .sgr files.

I'm not sure these steps will work.  It's difficult to test, as not everyone sees the issue, and of course no one wants to try to recreate it if their games are running smoothly.  But it would be really useful to know whether anything helps.  If not, we'll try to think of some other ways to troubleshoot as well.

Message 4 of 5 (1,001 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Okay, so I have an update, sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. As I expected, installing UL and IP and editing sgr. files, bypassing the launcher and running the SuperPatch didn't work. Also UL's folder was 1.11 GB. However, I went ahead with your last suggestion, creating a new user and I installed the base game. It worked!! I didn't even edit the sgr. files or bypass the launcher. It really works! Thank you so much! All this time trying to make the game work manually and altering so many files and things... who knew I needed to create another user. Now I will be super careful with this one and the expansions that I install. Thank you again. 

Message 5 of 5 (961 Views)