Sims 3 64-bit "quit unexpectedly' Mac

by jadasimsxox

Original Post

Sims 3 64-bit "quit unexpectedly' Mac

★★ Novice

Hi, 

I have a few expansion packs installed with my sims 3 and after loading my save, the game just disappears and I get an error saying that the sims 3 quit unexpectedly. 

My specs are as follows:

• Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2 (20D80)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020)
  • Processor - 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory - 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Graphics - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

I don't use any CC/mods

I have ambitions, pets, generations, seasons, late night and town life stuff installed

I love the sims 3 but it makes it impossible to play when my game crashes just 2 minutes after loading a save Frown

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Showing the details and system configurations of the problem brings this (I can't post everything due to character limit unfortunately):

Date/Time:             2021-03-06 22:37:29.229 +0000
OS Version:            macOS 11.2.2 (20D80)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     5.2 (18P4347)
Anonymous UUID:        E27B0389-1975-2D1A-2DCE-EA3EF73726AE

Sleep/Wake UUID:       6A5C090C-B839-4F17-B3DB-C01A51BAB409

Time Awake Since Boot: 41000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       29000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000010
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [5857]

Message 1 of 17 (1,452 Views)

Re: Sims 3 64-bit "quit unexpectedly' Mac

@jadasimsxox  The issue here may unfortunately be the Pets expansion.  Sometimes it's enough to play without any pets the active household, and sometimes the entire pack needs to be removed.  But it's obvious from the many reports that the content doesn't work well on Macs with your category of hardware.

If you'd like to try intermediate steps, e.g. removing pets from your save and using mods to prevent them from spawning, let me know.  Otherwise, your only move may be to uninstall Pets, which you can do by simply deleting the EP05 folder from the Sims 3 Packs folder, which will be in either Applications or Users > your username > Applications.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 17 (1,435 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks, i thought it might’ve been the pets but the game won’t let me get far enough to give the dog up for adoption before crashing. It almost worked once until the daughter adopted the dog back! -_-
I’m going to try and delete that folder then.

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 17 (1,426 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict After deleting the EP05 folder, I tried loading the game up a couple of times and now it crashes before the second loading screen finishes.The dog that was initially in my household still shows up when selecting the save also.

Not sure where to go from here?
Message 4 of 17 (1,410 Views)

@jadasimsxox  Playing a save without all its expansions usually doesn't work, as in, the save will crash, fail to load, or maybe just run very poorly.  So if you can't play with Pets installed, you'll need to start a new save.

If you really want to try to recover this save, there are mod-related ways to move out the dog or even remove all animals from the world.  But it kind of defeats the purpose of playing with the expansion at all.  Let me know what you'd like to do.

Message 5 of 17 (1,402 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I'd probably just have to start a new save unfortunately. Just in case for the future, if I want to recover the save, could you direct me to the mod that would let me do this? Thanks
Message 6 of 17 (1,392 Views)

@jadasimsxox  NRaas MasterController can remove any sim, including pets, from the world; the command is called "Total Annihilation" and can be applied to any subset of sims you want.  NRaas Register controls the stray population and can set it to zero for each type of stray or wild animal.  NRaas Overwatch can shut down the neighborhood pet adoption scenario, which may also be a problem.

So this is more a piecemeal attempt to control things rather than one sweeping fix.  I don't even know if it's possible to completely prevent the crashing due to animals that many players are seeing, other than uninstalling Pets entirely.  But those are the mods you'd use to try.  If you want help adjusting their settings, feel free to ask here or on the NRaas site.

Message 7 of 17 (1,379 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi! im having this issue tooFrown I also have the Pets expansion pack, but is there any way, I can play the game without the need to uninstall the Pets expansion pack. I really love that pack and it's basically the center of my gameplay. I don't know if it would be possible, but I just have to askStandard smile

Message 8 of 17 (1,368 Views)

★★★ Novice
This is my specs:
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 1,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
Message 9 of 17 (1,362 Views)

@Sarah_Ulmer  I honestly don't know whether it's possible for people getting this kind of crashing to play with the Pets EP.  So far, I haven't been able to come up with any suggestions that helped, and it's pretty clear in a lot of cases that the presence of one or more pets is the problem, in that removing them is an immediate fix.  A few people have reported that they can't move in a household that already includes a pet but can adopt one later without issues.  It seems to be hit or miss.

If you're willing to use mods and to experiment a bit, you could install NRaas Register, along with MasterController (for its useful commands), and ErrorTrap and Overwatch (for maintenance and error cleanup).  Start a new save, use Register to set all the stray pet pools to zero, use Overwatch to shut down the neighborhood pet adoption scenario, and use MasterController to remove ("Total Annihilation") the existing animals in town.  Unfortunately, the only way to stop inactives from adopting pets entirely is with StoryProgression, which is a heavy mod, both in terms of impact on performance and in terms of its effect on the game.  But you could set it to the slowest pace and shut down most forms of progression for inactives to limit the extra resources it needs.

I don't know for sure that this will help, and it does take a little work to set up, so I'd understand if you don't want to try.  But if you do, and you need more specific guidance, let me know.

It's also still possible that EA will identify the issue and patch it at some point, although I have no idea how likely that is.  And of course if you get a different computer in the future, the pack will still be available to download from your Origin game library.

Message 10 of 17 (1,354 Views)