Sims 3 64 bit create a sim won't load and crashes

by ittybitty2430

Original Post

Sims 3 64 bit create a sim won't load and crashes

★★ Novice

Is anyone else experiencing that the 64-bit seems to be fine on everything, but once they go to "create a sim," it won't load and crashes like every second? 

Message 1 of 10 (1,033 Views)

Re: Sims 3 64 bit create a sim won't load and crashes

@ittybitty2430  I've spent plenty of time in CAS without seeing any issues.  Please test in a clean user folder: move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you open the launcher, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see how CAS works.

If you get another crashe, please attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (1,014 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict it worked fine, so what should I do now? thanks for the help in advance!
Message 3 of 10 (1,007 Views)

@ittybitty2430  Do you have mods or custom content?  If so, some cc item, or less likely (but still possibly) a mod, is probably causing the crashes.  You can try adding your content into the new Sims 3 folder in batches, testing each time to see whether CAS still works.  When you get another crash, you'll know that something you just added is a problem, and you'll have to split the last batch and test until you find out what.

Once you've sorted through your mods and cc, or start here if you don't have any, you can start adding back your other content.  Again, add it in batches, and leave your saves for last.  Here's a complete list of the files in your user folder, so you know what you'd want to transfer over:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

While troubleshooting, be sure to delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 folder each time you quit.  They should be deleted anyway whenever you add or remove content from your game.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Message 4 of 10 (997 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I don't have any mods or custom contents. Your suggestion worked for a while, but now the CAS is not working again. Everything else is fine, except the CAS. It just crashes the game, which is so weird that everything else works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game over and over to see if certain packs were causing the issue. But nothing worked Frown
Message 5 of 10 (947 Views)

@ittybitty2430  Try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, please try the clean folder again, just as an experiment.  I'd like to know whether it makes any difference.

If you still get crashes in CAS in a clean folder, please attach your deviceconfig.log to a post; it's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  (You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.)  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

Message 6 of 10 (929 Views)

★★★ Novice

Having a similar issue. Game runs fine but it bugs out when trying to enter Create-A-Sim. The game does not crash, but the page freezes and doesn't load. I am able to click around and change the sim (the sound comes through when I click blindly), but I can't finish the process without being able to see the page. I have a few mods, but none that have affected my gameplay until now. 

Message 7 of 10 (498 Views)

@liltinglullaby  Please list the full specs of your Mac: everything under About This Mac including the OS and except for the serial number.

Please also test without any mods or custom content and let me know whether it makes a difference.  I'm not saying you can't play without mods or cc, only that we need to know whether the content is triggering the crashes.

Message 8 of 10 (490 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Mac mini (2018)

Processor: 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Startup disk: Macintosh HD

macOS: 13.6.1 (22G313)

I clicked the "run with no custom content" button before startup & it froze the exact same way. so, not sure the problem is the CC.

Message 9 of 10 (392 Views)

@liltinglullaby  Try moving the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it, and don't change any graphics settings, with the exception of the resolution and/or switching to windowed mode if you want.  Load a new save and let me know whether the same thing happens in CAS.

If it does, switch the Advanced Rendering setting (if it's on, disable it; if it's off, enable it) at the Main Menu, quit to desktop, load another new save, and test CAS again.  It's important to quit and reload after changing the setting.

I do want to mention that your computer's graphics chip is a little under the minimum requirement for 64-bit Sims 3.  That doesn't mean you can't play, only that you may not get ideal performance and may need to make adjustments and/or live with the occasional crash.

Message 10 of 10 (384 Views)