Sims 3 64-bit crashing in live mode

by DropOfMagic

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 64-bit crashing in live mode

[ Edited ]

@DropOfMagic

Did @puzzlezaddict's suggestions of resetting the NVRAM help you play for longer? It would be really great to know as it may help others Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 22 (702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Sorry for the late response, I got busy with school. Just tried both of those methods and it is still crashing (in seconds upon entering live mode)

Message 12 of 22 (686 Views)

@DropOfMagic  Please try pllaying with your computer completely offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi before launching the game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 22 (674 Views)

★ Apprentice

still crashing Disappointed

Message 14 of 22 (668 Views)

@DropOfMagic

Can you share your save so we can test it? Upload to a file sharing site and PM me or @puzzlezaddict the link Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 15 of 22 (646 Views)

★ Apprentice

I messaged both of you with the link Standard smile

Message 16 of 22 (618 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict  @Bluebellflora I have been trying to figure out how to play without crashing, and I've come to find that my game actually crashes once I open the map. I was able to play with no complications as long as I didn't use the map.

Message 17 of 22 (611 Views)

@DropOfMagic

I've just tested and it plays fine for me. Only issue was pretty awful screen tearing in map view.

A lot of similar reports are on low spec. machines which unfortunately yours is. You have 8GB RAM of which 1.5GB will be used for the Intel graphics chip IF it is available. If not then it will use a lower amount of VRAM. You also have a very low-spec i3 dual core CPU. I suspect that this is the cause of your crashing especially as it happens more in map view which requires more rendering and therefore more power.

We have had one user who upgraded their OS to Big Sur and it improved performance but they were on an iMac with significantly more power. I wouldn't necessarily recommend you do that as it is still in beta and I also think your limitation is hardware.

You could however reinstall Catalina over the top of your existing install and see if that helps although again, I'm not sure it will. Reinstalling an OS replaces any damaged or missing system files which can result in performance instability. ALWAYS do a full backup of your Mac beforehand Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 22 (607 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay, thank you for all your help! Is there some way I could upgrade my laptop to be able to run the game properly, or is this pretty much just a lost cause at this point?

Message 19 of 22 (601 Views)

@DropOfMagic

Unfortunately not Frown MacBook Airs are great computers but not designed for gaming at all.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 22 (593 Views)