Re: sims 3 64 bit & metal keeps crashing?

by mangogirl10

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 64 Bit & Big Sur

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi! I updated my Mac to Big Sur and now my sims 3 game glitches ! help! 

Message 1 of 23 (4,056 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 64 Bit & Big Sur

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Ahh i tried all your methods and nothing seems to be working Frown im going to try and reinstall my game completely and will keep you posted. I appreciate all your help!

Update: I fixed by game by doing a fresh uninstall and reinstall! Works smoothly

Once again, thank you a million times! 

update: I had to create a fresh household / new save

View in thread

Message 5 of 23 (3,967 Views)

All Replies

@mangogirl10  Please describe the glitches in more detail.  Please also attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 23 (4,028 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So basically the screen continues to flash and glitch, previously, with mac os catalina the game was running completely fine, so idk what changed Frown 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 23 (4,000 Views)

@mangogirl10  Thanks for the deviceconfig.  I'm not sure what changed either, but if you're up for a bit of experimenting, you can try playing with the graphics settings.

First, try deleting options.ini, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  The game will spawn a new copy the next time it loads, and the in-game settings will revert to their defaults.  Don't change any settings initially; just see how things look.

If that doesn't make a difference, try playing in windowed mode.  Hit cmd-enter at the Main Menu or in-game to switch.

If the flashing continues, please go to the Main Menu, reduce all the graphics settings to the minimum, quit, reload, and test.  If the game looks better, you can try increasing one graphics setting at a time to see which one(s) cause more flashing.  Each time you do so, please change the setting at the Main Menu, not while you have a save loaded, and quit to desktop and reload rather than immediately loading a save.

Please let me know which settings, if any, make a difference.  If you still get the flashing even with everything on minimum and the game in windowed mode, try playing in a clean user data folder.  Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you open the launcher, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to the folder yet; just see whether the game continues flashing.  The new folder will mean a new options.ini as well, so you'll need to repeat the above process.

By the way, I hope you're restarting your computer often, but if not, now's a great time to do it.  A real reboot, not closing and opening the laptop lid but actually telling the computer to restart, can fix all sorts of issues.

Message 4 of 23 (3,988 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Ahh i tried all your methods and nothing seems to be working Frown im going to try and reinstall my game completely and will keep you posted. I appreciate all your help!

Update: I fixed by game by doing a fresh uninstall and reinstall! Works smoothly

Once again, thank you a million times! 

update: I had to create a fresh household / new save

Message 5 of 23 (3,968 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi! I'm having a problem where my Sims 3 64 bit & metal game keeps crashing after 10 minutes of gameplay getting the "sims 3 quit unexpectedly error" 

Message 6 of 23 (3,923 Views)

@mangogirl10  Which packs do you have installed?  Do you play with mods or custom content?  It's fine if you do; just let me know.

Please also open the Activity Monitor while you play (it's in Applications > Utilities) and see how much memory Sims 3 is using.  Double-click on the Sims 3 entry and check both real and virtual memory sizes, and let me know what you see.

Message 7 of 23 (3,916 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi! 

I have mods installed! The packs I have are: Ambitions, WA, Nightlife, Supernatural, Uni, Pets, Generations, Seasons, and Island Paradise. Here's a screen capture of the memory. TY again for the help! 

Message 8 of 23 (3,876 Views)

@mangogirl10  Okay, this isn't a runaway memory issue.  As an experiment, please try the following, in order, and let me know whether any of the suggestions make a difference:

• Play in windowed mode: hit cmd-return at the Main Menu to switch
  • Play with the graphics settings on minimum: switch at the Main Menu, then quit and reload the game before loading a save
  • Play with no pets in the household, if you currently have any
  • Delete the Pets expansion: open the Sims 4 Packs folder, wherever the game is installed, and delete the folder labeled EP05

I'm not saying you necessarily have to do all of these going forward, just that it would be good information to know which steps made a difference.

Message 9 of 23 (3,872 Views)

★ Novice
@mangogirl10 Where did you get the metal version?
Message 10 of 23 (3,740 Views)