Re: Sims 3 64 Bit Mac - UI/Resolution too small

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

@Jangobunny  Thanks, and no worries about the delay.  I asked someone else with an M1 Mac to test, and he saw the same thing, so it does look like this is a problem with the OS and not with user settings.  I'm not sure what to do about it other than to hope Apple addresses the issue.

@sophiemonz for reference.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 60 (5,325 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi! Just adding in that I've been experiencing the same problems since updating to macOS Monterey 12.4. Here's what my game's been looking like and I've tried playing around with the resolution and computer display but no luck. 

Message 12 of 60 (5,174 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict @sophiemonz I’m having this issue as well & I’ve tried everything. Uninstalled & reinstalled the game itself & everything Sophie mentioned as well. It either just made the screen smaller or did nothing at all.
Message 13 of 60 (5,079 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

& now the game is opening to the main menu, but won’t start a game up.

Message 14 of 60 (5,076 Views)

@diranea  The resolution issue looks to be a problem with the operating system, not with anyone's computer.  I'm not sure what to do about it other than to hope Apple fixes it at some point.  You could try using a scaled resolution at the OS level (System Preferences > Displays > Scaled), but that would affect everything else too; I guess you could turn it on and off as necessary.

For the issue of the game not loading, what happens when you try to load a save?  If you see an error message, please post a screenshot.  Please also let me know whether you can start a new save in Sunset Valley.

Message 15 of 60 (5,056 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey all... a little late to the party... I recently updated my Mac OS and am having the same problems with the UI. Very frustrating. Guessing no one has found a solution yet?

Message 16 of 60 (5,031 Views)

@victorialynn3  Nope, there's no solution yet.  If you want, you can try changing the display scaling, as mentioned in the post above yours.  But that's obviously not ideal.  If it works but messes with your other system settings too much, you could always change it in a new user account on your Mac—the setting should apply only within that account.  I think.

Message 17 of 60 (5,023 Views)

Re: Sims 3 64 Bit Mac - пользовательский интерфейс/разрешение слишком маленькое

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello everyone! Faced the same problem on my MacBook Pro M1. However, I also have an iMac 5K (2020), mac OS 12.4 is installed there as well as on the Macbook, but there are many screen resolutions in the list. I think the problem is Rosetta, not the OS itself.

Message 18 of 60 (4,898 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Guys, I found a solution! You will need a Better Display (a 14-day trial version is enough).
1. Install Better Display
2. Go to Settings - Displays - Turn on "Edit and manage the system configuration of this display" and (optional) "Allow smooth resolution scale"
3. Restart your Mac.

There will be a bunch of permissions for every taste both in the OS and in games. They can be controlled using the Retina Display Menu (RDM).

In my case, I did not mark "Allow smooth resolution scale", but manually added the resolution I needed.

Message 19 of 60 (4,852 Views)

@SpaceTurKadet  It looks from your screenshot like you're changing the resolution of your Mac's display, which the game is then picking up.  If that's not the case, let me know.  Otherwise, you could also change the computer's resolution by opening System Preferences > Displays and selecting Scaled, then choosing one of the larger-font options.  I understand that you get more options with Better Display, but the particular option you've chosen may be available without that.

Message 20 of 60 (4,830 Views)