Re: Sims 3 64 Bit Launch Error

by ad1991

Original Post

Sims 3 64 Bit Launch Error: 'the sims 3 quit unexpectedly'

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hey so MaxisJoe asked me to start a fresh thread on this - so I have the game installed and I have the CD Key but when I try and start the game from The Sims 3 launcher it doesn't open at all - I just get 'The Sims 3 quit unexpectedly' 

Attached a screenshot from the launcher...

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 21.03.19.png

Message 1 of 41 (3,446 Views)

@ad1991  The "can't find the server" error is probably unrelated: many of us have the same error and can play just fine.

Please try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  If that doesn't help, move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and test again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 41 (3,439 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for the reply but didnt work - both repairing and moving to desktop...

Message 3 of 41 (3,435 Views)

★ Apprentice

Im starting to think it could be that im on the MacOS beta?

I like to make life hard for myself....

Message 4 of 41 (3,416 Views)

★ Apprentice
Message 5 of 41 (3,407 Views)

@ad1991  I do know that Sims 3 works on the latest Big Sur beta, so that alone shouldn't be the issue.

Please restart your computer, sign into Origin, put it in offline mode, and try to launch the game.  Don't open any other apps on your computer.

If that doesn't help, please post the full specs of your Mac, including OS build, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Message 6 of 41 (3,399 Views)

EA Staff

Yep, that Update button is just vestigial. Ignore it. We meant to remove it, but ... Ooops.

As far as being on Beta Big Sur is concerned, yeah, it's been a rocky road (the Big Sur beta, that is - lots of things changed under the hood that are causing compatibility problems). Shouldn't be a problem here though. Works for me.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.36.32 PM.png

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 7 of 41 (3,391 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hmmm ok, I’ve just uninstalled and am currently redownloading (I panick uninstalled)

If there’s still no luck I’ll post my specs. (It’s a new MacBook Pro 2020 though...)

Message 8 of 41 (3,384 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Still no luck here - I've been reading this thread though and I have the same error - do I need to skip the launcher somehow? @puzzlezaddict @MaxisJoe 

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/11491575/#Comment_11491575 

Message 9 of 41 (3,275 Views)

@ad1991  Specs would be helpful.  It would also be useful to try moving or renaming the Sims 3 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, so the game spawns a new one, that is if you've added any content at all to the folder or used a folder from an older install of the game.

Do you have an antivirus installed, or some kind of cleaner app?  If so, try shutting it down.

The thread you linked is originally from 2013, and that issue may have nothing at all to do with your problem.

Message 10 of 41 (3,208 Views)