Re: Sims 2 MAC: how to install custom content

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Sims 2 MAC: how to install custom content

★★★ Newbie

I am attempting to install custom content for the Sims 2 on my MacBook. The game, newly installed, runs perfectly. I used to play the Sims 2 on my PC, and when I downloaded custom content all I had to do was double click on the file I downloaded and a blue window would pop up where I'd select "install content", and if successful, it would automatically show up in my game. However, now that I have a new MAC, it never gives me that option. I created a "Downloads" folder in my EA Games/Sims 2 folder. When I download a file, typically a rar or sims2pack, I place it in that folder. However, when I click on the downloaded file, nothing happens. I even downloaded an app to "extract" the rar or sims2pack files and when I double click on them it STILL doesn't do anything. It's as if my game doesn't recognize that the files are there at all. I have definitely checked to make sure that the "enable custom content" button is turned "on" in the game settings. HELP! What am I missing? I'm so confused.

Message 1 of 107 (55,618 Views)

Champion

@cincygal419 , you need to install the Package Installer before you can add CC to your Sims 2 game. When you launch Sims 2 Super Collection, you should see an option to download Body Shop and Package Installer. Click on the Download button and it should allow you to download and install the programs. Then, when you click on the Sims2pack file, it should automatically launch Package installer. 

Please respond back.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 107 (55,570 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Tremayne4260 i have the same problem as cincygal419 but where is the sims2pack file at
Message 3 of 107 (53,411 Views)

Champion

@mattyedge696 , when you download CC for Sims 2, the CC (unless otherwise noted by the creator) should show as the following formats ("CC name.sims2pack" or "CC name.package"). When you have the Aspyr Package Installer program loaded make sure it points directly to your Downloads folder in your Sims 2 folder. The Sims 2 files for the Mac are hidden in your Library folder instead of in the Documents folder.

To find your Library folder, click on your Desktop, find the "Go" command at the top in the Finder, hold your cursor button over Go and press the Option key on  your keyboard and Library will show when you do that. Scroll through the Library folders until you find one called "com.aspyr.sims2.appstore" and open the folder. You should see two files in there and open the Data File. From there, locate another file named "Library" and then in that file you should should find another Aspyr folder which when opened will reveal the Sims 2 folder (exactly like the original game and on the Windows side). From there check to see if you have a folder named "Downloads" and if you do not, simply create one. This is where all your CC and Mods will be stored.

My advice is to organize your CC into categories within this folder once you get it up and running.

If your CC has the ".sims2pack" extension, you will have to use the Package Installer to "uncompress" the file to now show the ".Package" extension. All CC in the game must have the ".package" extension to run.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Message 4 of 107 (53,352 Views)

★ Novice

Okay I used the The Sims 2 Package Installer I downloaded it but it doesn't work, idk it says double click on the packet and it should appear to download. Didn't work. 

Before when I would download CC on my Mac I would always do it through the downloads forder it always worked before that. Now I got a newer version laptop same Mac for some reason it doesn't work that way. And to locate the sims 2 folder was a missing cuz it wasn't in EA games.Even if I add a downloads folder and copy paste cc it doesn't wanna put it into the game. So please if you can help reach out to me ASAP. 

Message 5 of 107 (50,026 Views)

Champion

@SzitaJulia , if you read my previous post I said that the folder was located in your Library folder not Documents folder which was previously the case. You need to make sure you download and install the Package Installer from Aspyr.

Message 6 of 107 (49,969 Views)

★ Novice

Yes I read all of ur post a millions of times, didn't work. I tried many times the way you explained it but it was not there. I figured in out on my own, Now I have a different issue, my game keeps crashing after 5 min of playing it, do you know a way that you could help?

Message 7 of 107 (49,882 Views)

Champion

@SzitaJulia , If you play with any Mods installed, remove them. More than likely they are causing your game to crash as they are probably outdated.

Message 8 of 107 (49,837 Views)

★★★ Newbie

so uh what should we do if com.aspyr.sim2.appstore doesn't have anything inside it at all? Like completely empty AND i've downloaded both the Body Shop and Package Installer?

Message 9 of 107 (49,009 Views)

Champion

@thenagan , have you started the game itself yet? If not, you need to start the game to allow the content of the folder to generate. Then you should see the contents.

Message 10 of 107 (48,916 Views)