Re: Sim's 3 won't launch

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sim's 3 won't launch

★★★ Newbie

I have been trying to get Sims 3 to launch on my mac. I have the 64 bit sims 3 installed. However it says something is outdated. I have updated every expansion and the base game. I have also downloaded the base game by it's self and uninstalled the expansions and still can not get it to work. Can someone pretty please help me?

Message 71 of 111 (975 Views)

Re: Sim's 3 won't launch

@kendraheath2  I replied to your other post here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Base-game-incompatible-with-expa...

Please let me know whether that helps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 72 of 111 (951 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE 64-bit] Base game incompatible with expansion pack error

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for posting this! I was having this issue (after multiple other issues getting 64 bit & metal to download). I frequently see your name pop up offering help and you have helped me before as well. Your help is greatly appreciated, as always! Thank you for volunteering your time to help others!

Message 73 of 111 (976 Views)

Tried a lot!! Error 'base game is not compatible with the current Sims 3'

★★ Novice

A few months ago I reinstalled Sims 3 on my new MacBook Air. It worked perfectly and later I also installed Studentlife. I keep getting the same error: 

'The game cannot be started. Your base game of The Sims 3 is not compatible with the current Sims 3 expansion pack. Update your game through the Launcher'

So I did, and reinstalled Origin, the base game, the expension pack, updated everything (including my Mac) and made sure I've had more than enough storage. After some googling I found a topic on installing a specific version by hand and I think I did that but it's still not working, I'm not sure I did it right but couldn't find a clear instruction for it.

Here some specifics of my Mac:

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)

Processor: 1,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

System (videokaart): Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

Really hope someone knows what I can do!! Thank you.

Message 74 of 111 (1,092 Views)

Re: Tried a lot!! Error 'base game is not compatible with the current Sims 3'

@rosesmits  Please open Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and delete the file labeled Version.tag.

Message 75 of 111 (1,074 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you for your answer!! I tried this and emptied the trash but it didn't work, do you have any other ideas?
Message 76 of 111 (1,061 Views)

@rosesmits  Just to make sure, please use Terminal to search for any extra copies of Version.tag.  Open Applications > Utilities, launch Terminal, and copy and paste this:

find / -name "Version.tag" 2>/dev/null

The reason I'm suggesting one of these files might still exist is that this particular error is almost always related to Version.tag.  So it's worth checking before going through the other, less relevant steps.

Message 77 of 111 (1,055 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay I think I did find a Version.tag when I followed this steps. But when I look in finder for Electronic Arts I can't find it. When I look for 'Sims 3' I find the map 'The Sims 3 Packs' where I can navigate and found the other file that I deleted earlier. I can't find Version.tag in this file also. 

I added a screenshot of the result of Terminal (blurred my name haha). 

Message 78 of 111 (1,044 Views)

@rosesmits  The second entry listed, the one in Users/your username/etc., is the copy of Version.tag that's causing the issue.  The reason you don't see it may be that you're opening the iCloud version of Documents, not the one on your hard drive.  To do the latter, open a Finder window, click Macintosh HD (or whatever you've renamed your hard disk) in the left panel, then Users > your username > Documents etc.  If you don't see your hard disk listed, click Finder in the upper left corner of the screen, then Preferences > Sidebar, and check the box next to hard disks.

I believe the first entry refers to some backup data that Catalina makes (and maybe Big Sur as well), but it shouldn't affect Sims 3—the game doesn't read files in that location.  If instead, you happen to have some Sims 3 user data to an external drive that you've named "Data," please let me know.

Message 79 of 111 (1,029 Views)

Sims 3 64 Bit showing error:

★★★★★ Newbie

Sims 3 64 Bit showing error: 

Unable to start game

Your The Sims 3 Base Game is incompatible with the current Sims 3 Expansion Pack. Please update your game via the game launcher.

My game is up to date and I don't need an expasion pack.. Please help.

Message 80 of 111 (1,093 Views)