Sim families and vacation properties?

by sparilis

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sim families and vacation properties?

★ Guide

This isn't a problem, just a question. I have a family with a father and adult children. The father has a level 3 visa in every country and has purchased a vacation home in each. The rest of the family does not have the same visa level, so a couple questions:

1. Can the other family members stay in those vacation homes if the father stays at home and doesn't travel with them?

2. Will the other family members still own those homes after the father dies?

3. If I move the father out into his own household and keep the kids as the active household, what happens to the vacation properties?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (1,815 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sim families and vacation properties?

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  Sorry it took me so long to reply; stuff came up, then errands, then more stuff.  And still more soon (yay).

Okay, I loaded a save with two sims: one that had a level 3 visa in both China and France, and the other with a level 2 in France and nothing in China.  While in France, I had sim 1 buy a vacation house; when they returned home, I used MC to remove the "traveled" moodlet and sent sim 2 back to France.  He had no problem using the house that sim 1 had bought.  So then I sent him home and moved sim 1 out, staying with sim 2.  Again, I sent him to France (after removing the same moodlet), and again I had no trouble selecting the vacation house as his home.

I could repeat the experiment with China, but what I saw seems to confirm what I already thought—that vacation homes function in the same way businesses and second homes within the homeworld do, specifically, that they belong to the active household and not any particular sim.  A player whose information I trust very much posted a while back that the family maintains ownership of a vacation home when the original buyer dies, so I wouldn't worry about losing a vacation house to death, either.  The one exception might be if you're switching households within a town, and the sim who owns the house dies while not under your watch, but it doesn't sound like you expect this to happen.

I should note that I have a pile of nraas mods installed, including Traveler, so I can't confirm that things work in precisely the same way in a vanilla game.  But I would think that they do since they seem to use the business/venue model that follows the same pattern without mods.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,897 Views)

All Replies

@sparilis  I only know for sure the answer to the second question, which is that the family inherits the vacation home when the father dies but won't be able to purchase another one until someone else has a level 3 visa.  I suspect that the answer to the first question is yes, and that in the third case, the home would stay with the active family, but I don't know for sure.  But I can go find out, as I have a family ready to test (except for the dying part though; I really can't stomach killing off my sims for any reason).

Be back in a bit with some answers.

Message 2 of 5 (1,802 Views)

★ Guide
I appreciate any info you can provide. I don't want to kill my father sim to find out either. I'm just thinking that if he can't pass it on after he dies, I'll have him sell it.
Message 3 of 5 (1,796 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  Sorry it took me so long to reply; stuff came up, then errands, then more stuff.  And still more soon (yay).

Okay, I loaded a save with two sims: one that had a level 3 visa in both China and France, and the other with a level 2 in France and nothing in China.  While in France, I had sim 1 buy a vacation house; when they returned home, I used MC to remove the "traveled" moodlet and sent sim 2 back to France.  He had no problem using the house that sim 1 had bought.  So then I sent him home and moved sim 1 out, staying with sim 2.  Again, I sent him to France (after removing the same moodlet), and again I had no trouble selecting the vacation house as his home.

I could repeat the experiment with China, but what I saw seems to confirm what I already thought—that vacation homes function in the same way businesses and second homes within the homeworld do, specifically, that they belong to the active household and not any particular sim.  A player whose information I trust very much posted a while back that the family maintains ownership of a vacation home when the original buyer dies, so I wouldn't worry about losing a vacation house to death, either.  The one exception might be if you're switching households within a town, and the sim who owns the house dies while not under your watch, but it doesn't sound like you expect this to happen.

I should note that I have a pile of nraas mods installed, including Traveler, so I can't confirm that things work in precisely the same way in a vanilla game.  But I would think that they do since they seem to use the business/venue model that follows the same pattern without mods.

Message 4 of 5 (1,898 Views)

★ Guide
Thanks! I have many nraas mods installed too - just the one that provide the fixes that EA did not. This is a big help.
Message 5 of 5 (1,766 Views)