Re: SIMS4 M1 Pro/Max in mode full screen refresh rate problem

by Jingqiusiyu

Original Post

Accepted Solution

❗️[CURRENT ISSUE] Sims 4 M1 Pro/Max in full screen mode refresh rate problem

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro in M1 Pro and in M1 Max. I update my game today. I find when I play the game in full screen. It has a refresh rate problem. ether MacBook pro's monitor or an external monitor the refresh rate is always the lowest value of the system. which means 49.95fps in Macbook pro's monitor, 24fps in a external monitor. I have try in 2 Macbook, M1Pro and M1 Max. in a LG monitor or a Bend monitor. This bug will appear 100%. In the reddit, others have the same problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/q0e3ai/terrible_fps_in_fullscreen_mode_m1_mac_mini/

"

I have this as well on my M1 Mac mini - from what I can diagnose, something triggers my 60hz monitor to change over to 24hz instead. I’m getting a new monitor so perhaps that will help but given your report, I’m now doubting it’ll change anything. It may be worth flagging to EA as something they can change on their end.

"

Since there is no option for screen refresh rate in the settings in the M1 Macbook (always default), we can't change the refresh rate in mode full screen. In mode Windows, It works well. This problem never appeared in previous versions (the early November version did not have this problem). I think this bug appears on all M1 MacBooks (49.95fps in Macbook pro's monitor, 49.95 is the lowest value of the system in MacBooks monitor, but this is an acceptable value, so the perception is not strong was not found, but in an external monitor 24 fps is an unacceptable values, The problem is so severe that the game cannot be played in mode full screen. 

This is a seriously nasty bug, as the screen refresh rate of 24 fps in full screen is unacceptable. I can only run it in windowed mode. I hope EA will fix this problem soon

Edit - tidied up title and and added current issue tags (Bluebellflora)

Message 1 of 18 (3,385 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

Under investigation. Accepting as solution for visibility purposes only.

Hello @khmvv @Jingqiusiyu 

The team will look into this, but in the meantime, can you try changing the Vertical Sync option in the game's Graphics settings and see if that makes it better or worse?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 5 of 18 (3,225 Views)

All Replies

@Jingqiusiyu

Hmm, interesting. I've had >60fps frequently when playing on my M1 MacBook Air. Can you provide the full specs of your Macs including which OS you're running? M1 Pro and Max are different chips to the M1.

The link you provided is only mentioning the M1 Mac mini and only two users have mentioned it, three now including you. Do you have any other links to different people reporting it, preferably where they have provided specs?

When I next load it up on my M1 I'll do some testing, see if I can see repro.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 18 (3,374 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I use M1 Max with 32G RAM. The bug is when we use full screen, the fps has set in the lowest valeur of the system (50fps in MacBook screen, 24fps in other screen) And we can’t change it. This is a system problem. The system is MacOS Monterey, 12.0.1, Sims4 is 1.82.99.1230. I have two MacBook, M1 Pro and a M1 Max. Both of them have the same problem. 

Message 3 of 18 (3,366 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the same issue. Every time I run Sims 4 in full screen, my refresh rate drops to the lowest setting. When I try to change the refresh rate to 60 or 120, Sims 4 exits full screen and is windowed. I have a 2021 MacBook Pro 14 with M1 Pro chip and 16 GB RAM. 

Message 4 of 18 (3,239 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

Under investigation. Accepting as solution for visibility purposes only.

Hello @khmvv @Jingqiusiyu 

The team will look into this, but in the meantime, can you try changing the Vertical Sync option in the game's Graphics settings and see if that makes it better or worse?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 5 of 18 (3,226 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I have try, but it change anything. In the full screen mode, it is always the lowest fps (24hz). In the Windows mode it is OK. I have two Macbook, M1Pro and M1Max. They have the same problem. And I have seen a lot of guys have the same problem with Apple M1 in the internet. I think it is a bug in the last version of SIMS4. My system is macOS Monterey 12.1, Sims4 is 1.82.99.1230

Message 6 of 18 (3,217 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ether MacBook pro's monitor or an external monitor the refresh rate is always the lowest value of the system. which means 49.95fps in Macbook pro's monitor, 24fps in a external monitor.

Message 7 of 18 (3,214 Views)

★ Novice
@SimQARobo i tried the vertical sync option and it did make it slightly better
Message 8 of 18 (3,205 Views)

★★ Novice

I also to have this issue, can confirm it's not a nice bug

Message 9 of 18 (3,193 Views)

Flickering screen after update

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I´m playing on a Mac Mini M1 (MacOS Monterey 12.3.1), together with a Samsung LC34J791WTR. Earlier, I have had problems with flickering screen with my computer over all after a Mac-update. I solved it by changing the refresh rate of the screen to 60hz from 100hz. 

I havn´t played The Sims 4 for about three weeks and after that, I have both updated to the last version of Monterey and updated The Sims 4. Yesterday, when I started the game, it flickers to a black screen and back, after a while it just shows a white noise for screen and I have to force my Mac to shut down. I have tried everything. The screens refresh rate is still 60hz, I have also tried 50 wich is the lowest. I have tried changing the settingt in The Sims 4 with no change. SInce it´s only a problem playing The Sims 4 I´m guessing it has something to do with the game. I have repaired it to with no luck.

Anyone having the same problem?

Message 10 of 18 (2,608 Views)