by lalislalis

Original Post

SIMS 3 version installed is more recent than expected

★★★ Novice

What can i do?

Message 2 of 30 (2,198 Views)

SIMS 3 VERSION INSTALLED IS MORE RECENT THAN EXPECTED

★★★ Novice

i just bought sims 3 generation EP and while im installing it it says that my base game has a more recent update tha the expansion pack. After the installation the game wont run. What can I do? PLEASE HELP!!

Message 1 of 30 (2,212 Views)

Re: SIMS 3 VERSION INSTALLED IS MORE RECENT THAN EXPECTED

@lalislalis  Are you installing via disc, or perhaps using Origin on a mac?  Either way, you just need to run the Super Patch (not the incremental patches).  It will patch your game to 1.67, and you can run it again after you finish installing your expansion and stuff packs.  It doesn't hurt to run it on an already patched game.  But if you're installing through Steam, or through Origin onto a PC, don't run the Super Patch and instead post back describing what kind of install you have.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 30 (2,200 Views)

Re: SIMS 3 VERSION INSTALLED IS MORE RECENT THAN EXPECTED

★★★ Novice

I have bought all my games through origin. Is it absolutlely necesary to uninstall the game base and the EP's? I have lots of custom content and I dont want to go again through the process of installing them again.

I also saw this video about this kind of trouble, its says that this kind of problem is common un Macs that run El Capitan or Sierra, I just tried it and im gonna see if it helped or not. 

THIS IS THE VIDEO 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

Message 4 of 30 (2,185 Views)

Re: SIMS 3 version installed is more recent than expected

[ Edited ]

@lalislalis

Are you on a Mac or a PC? You can ignore this error, it means that your base game is at a higher patch level than the pack you are installing is expecting.

Moving this to the Sims 3 forum.

(merged with duplicate thread)

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 30 (2,183 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still unable to play my sims 3 Frown Where can I find the patch, what can I do?

Message 6 of 30 (2,041 Views)

@lalislalis  Here's a place to download the Super Patch; the link leads directly to EA servers.  Be sure to get the digital download version.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

If you still can't launch your game, please provide your Mac's specs, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

Please also list the packs you've installed.

Message 7 of 30 (2,032 Views)

★★★ Novice

Can someone please help me - I have literally uninstalled, deleted all folders of TS3, and then reinstalled at least 7 times now over the past few days. I had the "unknown error has occurred" problem and then I got rid of it, and now I have this problem!!! "The Sims 3 version installed is more recent than expected" when trying to install ANY of the expansion packs, even in order from the start (World Adventures). I am so confused because I have had the game installed on my mac in the recent past, I uninstalled in about June as i did not have enough room and TS4 became free to download (lol) so I wanted to try it (& I concluded it is inferior compared to TS3). Even using the digital super patcher it does not fix the problem. I am using Origin to install the games (using the disc registration key). It should also be noted this time around as I said I don't have much room on my Mac - I am using an external hard drive to install the games. When I run the super patcher I DO select the right folder. 

Here are my Mac Specs: 

macOS Mojave 

Version 10.14.6

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB 

It should also be noted that the reason why I have had to reinstall the base game so many times is because each time I try and install an expansion pack it completely messes the game up, even if I delete the expansion pack and ALL of its files (even the transgaming ones as other forums have suggested deleting these folders will fix certain installation issues). Instead of just launching TS3 it will still try and launch World Adventures (which I suppose means not all the files are properly gone) and then come up with "An Unknown Error Has Occurred" 

Please please help me as I have been trying to fix this for about 5 days and it's just super frustrating it should not be this frustrating to get a game to work. I also would really love if the issue could be resolved in relation to installing everything on the hard drive because I don't have much room on my Mac at all (and I'm not too sure that the results would change anymore anyway installing it directly onto my Mac's hard drive). 

Sarah 

Message 8 of 30 (1,907 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sarahthebos3  The "more recent than expected" error message is sometimes harmless and can be safely ignored.  The idea is that the downloads of certain packs are older and don't match up with a fully patched base game, but that doesn't actually matter.  Other times, the message means that the game hasn't been properly patched.  (The launcher doesn't do a good job on its own.)  You can manually run the Super Patch (digital download version) to fix it, as many times as necessary.  It's generally a good idea to run it again once you've installed all of your packs, just to be thorough.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Keep in mind though that the Super Patch will undo any changes you've made to the .sgr files, so if you've edited them, save a copy of each on your desktop and put them back when the game is patched.

If you run into the unknown error message again, let me know which packs you've installed so far, and which others you'd like to install going forward.

Message 9 of 30 (1,902 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

Thanks for your fast reply. Are you telling me to keep installing them and when it tells me that the version is more recent even after I’ve patched it - is to patch it again? I am getting the unknown error has occurred message when I try and launch anything to do with the sims 3 after an attempted expansion pack installation. The base game is fine until I do this and then I have to reinstall it because even if I delete e.g. World Adventures files they’re still somehow there and when I launch the base game it will still try and load the World Adventured launcher - so basically everything besides the base game is buggering up the base game. 

This is what has been happening to me when I go to install anything:

I will install the base game first and then I will patch it and it will run no problems even without the super patch it will run no problems and then I install the first expansion pack according to chronological order which is world adventures and it gives me the message that the version is more recent than expected and so then I just say yes I install it and then it will try and open but it just jumps trying to load and then says unknown error occurred. So basically I can play the base game but as soon as I go to install anything else like expansions it has a temper tantrum. I also tested this with an out of order sequence like generations FIRST I believe as well and the same thing happened - unknown error. I am installing the files to the same place where TS3 is on my external HD. 

Thanks for your help if you need further information let me know

Sarah

Message 10 of 30 (1,895 Views)