Re: SIMS 3 CRASHES IN CAS ONLY (WITH OR WITHOUT CC)

by samanthaxshields

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SIMS 3 CRASHES IN CAS ONLY (WITH OR WITHOUT CC)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I don't know how this works but pls help. I have a MacBook and recently got tired of playing Sims 4 and wanted to go back to Sims 3 because the gameplay was more fun to me and I re-downloaded everything and it was all dandy and so I downloaded very minimal cc and opened the game and it ran smoothly but when I got to CAS it would just crash after like 10 minutes of being in CAS and if i were to quickly go through CAS and go into the game it would randomly just quit after a couple of minutes. It runs perfectly fine if I skip CAS or just not go into it at all but I really cannot stand not making a sim or not making my sims look good. I even removed all my cc and deleted cache files and still it would do the same thing. I've literally been searching the internet for hours and can't find anything that'll help pls i beg someone to help!!!!

Message 1 of 3 (419 Views)

Accepted Solution

@samanthaxshields Just to make sure you've gotten rid of all traces of your custom content, try using CAS in a clean game folder.  Drag your existing TS3 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a new folder will spawn when you launch the game.  See if CAS works any better for you; if it does, you can start moving your saves and other content to the new folder from the old one.

But a clean folder may not solve your issues.  TS3 doesn't run as well in mac OS as in Windows for a variety of reasons, the most prominent being that it can only use a maximum of 2 GB RAM, rather than the ~3.5 GB the game has available in Windows.  CAS is more resource-intensive than regular gameplay, so even a ten minute session might be enough to push you over the RAM limit.  The more packs you have installed, especially demanding ones like Pets, Seasons, ITF, and IP, the more memory the game will need just on startup, which will give you much less room to maneuver.

You can monitor your memory use in the Activity Monitor while you play and purge RAM every so often.  But that will only help so much; when the game goes over about 1.9 GB memory, you'll need to quit to desktop and relaunch.

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

There are other small adjustments you can make, like declining to login at either the launcher or Main Menu, turning off memories and the hidden object loading screens, playing in smaller worlds (both in terms of size and population), and playing with only a few sims at a time.

If RAM is not the issue, or you want more help, please post your computer's specs, as described below, along with a list of the packs you have installed.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

P.S.  After you see this, I'm going to move your comment to the dedicated Sims/mac section, since this is probably a mac OS issue rather than one confined to gameplay.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (402 Views)

All Replies

@samanthaxshields Just to make sure you've gotten rid of all traces of your custom content, try using CAS in a clean game folder.  Drag your existing TS3 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a new folder will spawn when you launch the game.  See if CAS works any better for you; if it does, you can start moving your saves and other content to the new folder from the old one.

But a clean folder may not solve your issues.  TS3 doesn't run as well in mac OS as in Windows for a variety of reasons, the most prominent being that it can only use a maximum of 2 GB RAM, rather than the ~3.5 GB the game has available in Windows.  CAS is more resource-intensive than regular gameplay, so even a ten minute session might be enough to push you over the RAM limit.  The more packs you have installed, especially demanding ones like Pets, Seasons, ITF, and IP, the more memory the game will need just on startup, which will give you much less room to maneuver.

You can monitor your memory use in the Activity Monitor while you play and purge RAM every so often.  But that will only help so much; when the game goes over about 1.9 GB memory, you'll need to quit to desktop and relaunch.

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

There are other small adjustments you can make, like declining to login at either the launcher or Main Menu, turning off memories and the hidden object loading screens, playing in smaller worlds (both in terms of size and population), and playing with only a few sims at a time.

If RAM is not the issue, or you want more help, please post your computer's specs, as described below, along with a list of the packs you have installed.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

P.S.  After you see this, I'm going to move your comment to the dedicated Sims/mac section, since this is probably a mac OS issue rather than one confined to gameplay.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (403 Views)

★★ Novice
Ahh! Thank you for responding. I managed to remove every single trace of cc and I got through CAS easily and the game didn't quit afterwards but I do miss my CC. I'll try those other tips as well!! Thank you!
Message 3 of 3 (392 Views)