Reshade for Macs....SUCCESSFUL!!!

by LexLennon

Original Post

Re: Reshade for Macs....SUCCESSFUL!!!

★★★★ Apprentice

So sorry to you ALL for the late reply!

It worked for me, I suspect because I did get the ReShade files from my friend. She clarified for me that when she set up on her MBP she had Parallels installed and she was able to run the ReShad program and it created the file she was needing. She'd just gave me a copy of the same files and I'm guessing that's why it worked for me. My MBP does not have Parallels. She said she only had to use it for a moment and it generates the preset '.ini' file she needed.

As for the ReShades I'd picked I got them here:

https://reshade.me

She followed these steps to run it initially before her Parallels expired:

https://katverse.com/2018/05/01/how-to-install-reshade-3-on-the-sims-4/

-- If you're running Catalina make sure to select the 64bit version

Download your preferred preset. Some examples are here:

https://katverse.com/2018/04/15/my-favorite-reshade-presets-for-the-sims-4/

Message 11 of 109 (10,740 Views)

@LexLennon 

Thanks for the update but it still doesn't make sense because of how Reshade works. Reshade must be installed as it works with the game, at least that's how I understand it. I found this that seems like a good explanation (source):

ReShade doesn't run in a process. It pretends to be the DirectX or OpenGL driver, so that games load ReShade instead of the actual driver and send all render commands to ReShade. ReShade then passes those commands on to the real driver while adding and modifying some commands to do its thing.

That's a couple of years old granted but wouldn't even work with the current version of the game which is for Metal compatible Macs only, you would have to be running the Legacy Edition of the game for OpenGL support.

I really want to be wrong, and I hope I am, because I would love to use this in my game. Could you maybe post step by step instructions and upload the preset you are using so I can test it in my game? If you'd rather do this privately please say so and I will temporarily open my inbox for DMs Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 12 of 109 (10,722 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

All I can tell you is it works on my 2013 MBP and my friend's 2019 MBP. I'm sorry. I don't have any tech details and such to further assist.

Here's a screenshot of the folders/files I have:

Message 13 of 109 (10,697 Views)

@LexLennon

I don't need tech details, just step by step instructions on where you put the file and anything else you did. For example, what is the exact location on your Mac of those files in your screenshot?

In that image the files with the two vertical red lines indicate they are files accessed in the Windows VM in Parallels. The d3d9.dll file is a Windows file and won't do anything on your Mac.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 14 of 109 (10,691 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Go to the Drive where your Sims 4 app is located > If you're using a trackpad use two fingers on the track pad click on the app one time. If you're using a mouse then right click the app > This opens the menu popup box > Select "Show Package Contents" > Open the "Contents" folder > Open "MacOS" folder > Paste your ReShade files here.

The files you should have inside of your macOS folder are in the screenshot below. The macOS folder must have d3d9.dll, ReShade.ini, and reside-shaders files. Then you pick your preset file the determines the settings of your lighting and place it here too. In my screenshot you can see I've chosen the preset, "Simemi's Preset V2".

The activation process of doing through F2 on a PC does not seem necessary in game, for me, as I never did it but noticed my game immediately looked different. When I start my MBP it's immediately got the look of the chosen preset.

Message 15 of 109 (10,599 Views)

@LexLennon

Where does a Mac user get the d3d9.dll file from?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 109 (10,584 Views)

★★★ Novice
@LexLennon Is there anyway you can send us the files via email
Message 17 of 109 (10,475 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@me2621Yes. I'll make a Simfileshare folder for you all.

Message 18 of 109 (10,430 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

sweeeet

Message 19 of 109 (10,426 Views)

★★★ Novice
@LexLennon Oh okay; cool! Thank you!
Message 20 of 109 (10,423 Views)