Re: sims 3 64 bit & metal keeps crashing?

by sflengas

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict my game crashes right after i press play on the launcher, my screen gets small and my cursor gets stuck on loading. I tried repair and reinstalling but it didnt work
Message 1 of 15 (1,025 Views)

@sflengas  Do you have iCloud enabled and set to automatically sync the contents of Documents with cloud storage?  If so, please try disabling the syncing.  This guide is about a different issue, but the directions are the same:

https://bluebellflora.com/2017/02/06/sims-3-and-sims-4-not-loading-save-games/

If that doesn't help, please attach your deviceconfig.log, if you have one.  The file would be in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  If the file isn't there, please post the full specs of your Mac, including operating system, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 15 (996 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict I try launching and it gets stuck on this screen:

IMG_1716.jpeg

I click "play" from Origin, and the game launcher pops up, then I click the "play" button in the launcher, and it gets stuck on the above screen.  This is the best way I can describe what is happening. I am not even sure how to search for the solution.  

Message 3 of 15 (917 Views)

★ Guide

OK I was able to launch after I deleted my existing documents folder.  So, now I need to know how to use my existing saved games and content with the new 64-bit game.  Is there a tutorial on that?  

Message 4 of 15 (907 Views)

@ashbymcdonald  This is less of a tutorial than a list of files you may want to transfer, but it's still helpful:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

A few notes to keep in mind:

• You will need to redownload and reinstall all store content, so don't bother tryint to transfer it
  • Mods and .package-based custom content should be fine
  • It's best not to transfer anything that will be recreated, e.g. options.ini
  • Leave your saves for last, when you're sure everything else works

When rebuilding your user folder, be sure to test the game often, and each time you confirm it's working, save a copy of the folder as a backup.  That way, if the game stops loading, you can trash your current copy of the Sims 3 folder and revert the most recent backup rather than starting from scratch.

Message 5 of 15 (893 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict  OK now I am unable to log in to my sims account on the main menu.  I have the correct login (I triple-checked), but it still keeps telling me my log in is incorrect.  I can log in on the launcher, but when I get to the game's main menu, it is still showing I am not logged in.  Any advice?  

Thank you,

Message 6 of 15 (864 Views)

@ashbymcdonald  Clear your browser caches, both for Safari and for your default browser if it's not Safari.

If that doesn't help, to into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads, and delete the file labeled [your email address].bin.

I almost never login to the Main Menu though, so I'm not sure how reliable it is these days.  Every so often, it just stops working for a while, and we have to wait for EA to fix something on the server side.  If you still can't login and need that functionality for something in-game, let me know, and I'll poke around more.

Message 7 of 15 (859 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict  thank you!  Also I noticed that the tilt camera key stroke no longer works right.  It used to be <command>-up/down arrow, but now it's all funky.  Is that just me, or have others noticed it as well?  

Message 8 of 15 (854 Views)

@ashbymcdonald  There's a thread for that:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Keyboard-commands-don-t-release/...

This one might be relevant too if you're seeing issues with camera movement:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Camera-controls-don-t-properly-c...

Please use one or both of those threads for the issue.

Message 9 of 15 (846 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict  You should TOTALLY be getting paid by EA.  WAAAAYYYY better than sitting on hold with tech support, only to have them not be helpful at all.  Many thanks! 

Message 10 of 15 (823 Views)