Re: sims 3 64 bit & metal keeps crashing?

by ashbymcdonald

Original Post

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict   I am unable to save a game from back when I was running 32-bit.  The game loads, works, everything.  But it won't save -- it crashes every time.  And it is only 1 save that is crashing -- other past 32-bit saves are saving as 64bit.  Wondering if there is a way to repair the saved game so that it saves...

Message 11 of 15 (243 Views)

@ashbymcdonald  Try using the backup version of the save, if you still have it.  In Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves, you'll see a folder with your save game's name and another with the same name plus a .backup extension.  (For example, if your save is SunsetValley, there will be a SunsetValley.sims3 folder and a SunsetValley.sims3.backup folder.)  Rename the save and delete the .backup extension (e.g. SunsetValley1.sims3), and you'll be able to load it from the Main Menu.

If the backup crashes as well, please let me know when it crashes and how much memory the game is using at the time.  You can open the Activity Monitor, in Applications > Utilities, to see.  Please also let me know whether you use mods or would be willing to try.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 15 (237 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict  I really appreciate your help with all this.

I had already tried saving the backup file before I reached out to you.  Same problem.  

The whole game crashes (completely closes) while it is saving.  It does not crash during play -- only when saving.  The memory usage was 1.73 GB when it crashed.  A game that was able to save used 1.65GB.  So I am not sure that it is a memory issue.  

I use mods (twallan's story progression, master controller, and some custom content like clothing and cars). There is no CC or mods that I had not used with my 32-bit version.  

Again, it is only this particular save that seems to be crashing when saving.  The others I have tried (2 of them) save without incident.  

Message 13 of 15 (226 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ashbymcdonald  Try adding NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch, and let the game clock run a few sim-minutes before saving.  You can try using "save as" to rename the save as well, so the game creates (or tries to) a new save file rather than overwriting the old one.

If that doesn't help, try running a MasterController town reset.  Click on City Hall and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything.  Then let the game clock run for a few sim-minutes before trying to save.

If that doesn't help either, please let me know the size of the save folder itself, and the sizes of the files inside.  You can open the folder and take a screenshot of the contents if you want; use list mode so the file sizes show.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 14 of 15 (221 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict  I already had Overwatch.  I added Error Trap.  Neither of those seemed to do anything.  

BUT, Reset Everything in Master Controller SEEMED TO WORK!!  I was able to save the game.  Thank you!

Message 15 of 15 (208 Views)