Re: sims 3 64 bit & metal keeps crashing?

by simbuildsam

Original Post

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Well, my game is crashing nearly every 15 minutes after I launch it...And I don't know what to do. I already tried to repair it via Origin but that doesn't help.  

The mac crash error says:

Crashed Thread: 39 Simulator

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000011a41ef60

Exception Note: ECX_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Bus error: 10

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xa

Terminating Process: exc handler [768]

I have my graphics settings on the lowest possible. Hopefully, somebody can help me... Frown

My System: MacBook Air 2018 with a Core i5 @ 1,6 GHz and 8 GB RAM + Newest Catalina version

Message 1 of 88 (5,214 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

My game keeps crashing as well. I already tried to play with the lowest graphic options but that didn't make a difference. The game itself runs really smooth. Fast loading times and no freezing, not even with high graphics. But is just shuts down every 15 minutes without warning, it doesn't even freeze. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried repairing several times. didn't help

Message 2 of 88 (5,195 Views)

★★ Guide

mine also keeps crashing. i had activitiy monitor open, and the game was only using 2gb. there is no lag before it crashes. i copied the error file and uploaded it here, if that helps https://github.com/nataliebelsha/sims3error/blob/main/error 

i've also attached my specs. there is no pattern to the crashing

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 10.42.36 PM.png

Message 3 of 88 (5,181 Views)

EA Staff
@simbuildsam That's not a good sign. It basically means that our Simulator thread (the thing that is, basically, creating the in-game universe for the game) is trying to modify kernel memory (the kernel is the heart of macOS) that isn't supposed to be modified. That's, as you can imagine, not allowed.

Are you able to repeat this with an empty/new save? Can you try backing up your entire "The Sims 3" folder (in Documents/Electronic Arts), then starting empty, and seeing if the problem persists? I'm trying to see if there's something in your save triggering this behavior, or if it's something more universal in nature.
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 4 of 88 (5,148 Views)

EA Staff
@spookyorca Thanks for the crash report (incidently, the URL you posted has some junk characters on the end that cause GitHub to throw a 404). You're throwing a SEGFAULT error (basically - something bad happened with memory management). Are you able to reproduce this consistently? What if you start with a completely clean Sims 3 folder (no saves, no CC, no mods)?
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 5 of 88 (5,143 Views)

★ Apprentice
  • Operating System : macOS Catalina version 10.15.7
  • Mac model: MacBook Air 13 inch, 2018
  • Processor: 1,6 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory (RAM) 8GB 
  • Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 617
  • Are you running any antivirus? No
  • What Expansion and Stuff Packs do you have installed? Base game, Late Night, World Adventures, Ambitions
  • Do you use CC/Mods? None

I did a clean uninstall of Sims 3 (including deleting the files from the application support / cache / library etc. folders) and re-installed Sims 3 with the EPs listed above. But still, even on the lowest graphic settings, it crashes really often. Especially after saving the game or after creating a sim and returning to the town editing / town overview map. But sometimes, it crashes randomly. I don't know what to do about it...

Message 6 of 88 (5,114 Views)

@simbuildsam  I've moved your post to a new thread I split off for your and another player's issue, since your description and your error suggest that the problem might be different than the other posts in the original thread.  More importantly, @MaxisJoe has some further questions about the error, and he's in the best position to troubleshoot this kind of problem.  So please clarify whether the clean uninstall and reinstall also means a clean Sims 3 user folder (the one in Documents > Electronic Arts), and he'll take it from there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 88 (5,093 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi, I’ve been having the same error and I tried starting a new save. My game is still crashing. I hope this helps! 

Message 8 of 88 (5,003 Views)

@attil00  Please try a clean Sims 3 folder, as described earlier in the thread.  Please also attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You can delete the user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in the file that would identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 9 of 88 (4,996 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I’ve backed up my folder but I’m not sure I understand how to start an entirely empty new folder. Should I just delete the entire “The Sims 3” folder? 

Message 10 of 88 (4,992 Views)