Re: Sims 3 Store Content Won't Download

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

I have experienced a similar issue with downloading store content.

whenever I press download on store content located in my purchase history it opens the sims 3 launcher, but it doesn't go further. about 15 minutes after originally pressing download and having the launcher open I get a message along the lines of "you haven't logged in on the launcher, would you like to?", despite me making sure that I am logged in to my store account of the launcher (even though I know it shouldn't be necessary). This happens both if the launcher is already open, and when I let the launcher open through pressing download on the store page. I play on a Mac, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I have tried different browsers (safari, google chrome, and Firefox) to see if that would help, which it doesn't.

Message 1 of 6 (1,007 Views)

@theforgottencomp  I've moved your post to its own thread in the Mac section, since the other thread was a bit old and about troubleshooting in Windows.

Please use Firefox to download from now on—it works better with the store than Safari or Chrome.  Make sure Firefox isn't set to block pop-ups as well.  Try downloading just one item from your purchase history, and if that doesn't work, download from its product page instead.  When asked (if you get this far), choose the Sims 3 base game icon as the app to "open" the download, and always open the launcher before you click the Download button.  It would also be interesting to know whether not logging into the launcher helps.

If that doesn't help, please move your entire Sims 3 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, and don't add anything to the folder yet.  Just try again to download one store item.  Let me know whether it works.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (995 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict thank you for the tips, but none of them worked.

I made sure to do everything both separately and in different combinations (cleared cache and download from the item page, being logged in on the launcher and downloading multiple items, etc.), but none of them were fruitful. All that happened was that the sims 3 program was opened once again, but it never reached the launcher or the download page, and after 5-10 minutes it just told me that I wasn't logged in on the launcher. I also did try out moving my sims 3 folder to create a new one, but the results were the same as previously.

Message 3 of 6 (911 Views)

@theforgottencomp  Try downloading the content into a new admin user account on your Mac.  Don't change any of the default preferences in the new account.  Use Firefox to download, and open the launcher (but don't sign in) before you click Download.  If this works, you can drop the downloaded Sims3Packs into the Shared folder on your Mac and then move them to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads in your main account.

By the way, is your store account tied to your Origin account?  One cause of content not downloading properly is when the two accounts are different, e.g. if I made a second account and bought Sims 3 on it, then tried to use my store stuff from my current account, it wouldn't work.  It sometimes doesn't work if you have multiple base game codes on the same account too, but that's more easily sorted out.

Message 4 of 6 (902 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you for the help, and I apologise for the (months) late reply, but sadly none of these tips work for me. I have tried everything you have brought my way, and I really appreciate that you are trying, but despite making a new admin user, using firefox, not signing in on the launcher, and making sure that my store account is tied to my origin account I simply can't make it work (not even now, months later). It's pretty tiring, but I guess that just shows how much EA has given up on the sims 3.

Message 5 of 6 (785 Views)

[ Edited ]

@theforgottencomp  Try downloading through the Main Menu instead.  Some people have more success there.  On the Main Menu, click the three dots in the lower left corner and select Open Downloads Dashboard.  After you've signed in, you'll see a list of all the content you own, which you can sort by name or purchase date to make it slightly less disorganized.  It's still a good idea to only install a few items at a time, and worlds separately.

P.S.  A late reply is never an issue.

Message 6 of 6 (781 Views)