Product Key Doesn't Work - MAC

by sparkling_aria7

Original Post

Product code won’t work for MacOS on launch

★★★★ Novice

I bought The Sims 3 via Steam almost a week ago, it was in a bundle including Pets,Generations, and Seasons. After transferring the CD Keys from Steam to Origin, it was successful. I downloaded the games and everything worked perfectly upon launch of the game where it asked for the registration code again, which I entered numerous times, every time I would click “done” the prompt would close and then ask me to re-enter the code again in a never ending loop. I’ve contacted support 3 times trying different solutions every time with no progress made. The last support team member told me that this was a reoccurring issue with many people with The Sims 3.

Message 7 of 36 (3,443 Views)

Product Key Doesn't Work - MAC

★★ Novice

Hey people!

I recently bought Sims 3! yay. Everything was working including redeeming my CD Key on the Sims 3 website. I was able to download Sims 3 but when I opened the Sims 3 program. It asks for my CD Key for the like third time, and this time, it does not work. An error message pops-up. I have contacted 3 different EA representatives with questions asking why this is happening and they have not been useful at all. I was wondering if any of you could help me out?

Thank you so much for your time

Message 1 of 36 (3,129 Views)

Re: Product Key Doesn't Work - MAC

[ Edited ]

@sparkling_aria7  When in the process of launching the game are you getting that message?  I've installed in macOS numerous times, and while I need the codes for the install process itself, I've never been asked for it when launching the game.  And you're downloading directly from Origin, not installing via disc, right?

Since you've entered this code successfully before, I take it you're not confusing the letter O with a zero or anything like that.  Still, you can try copying and pasting the code into the box instead.  Origin should show you the code before you install, or you can find it by right-clicking on the TS3 icon in your game library and selecting Game Properties.

Please also make sure that you're using the key that is being requested.  In addition to the base game, each pack has its own code, and perhaps it's one of those codes that's being requested.

On a similar note, did you buy the base game as part of a bundle, and if so, what was in the bundle?  There have been issues with some of the later bundled disc copies that only came with one code for both the base game and the included pack(s).

If none of this helps, let me know, and I'll ask if someone else can help.  Please let me know which packs you've installed, if any, and what version of macOS you're running.  You can check by clicking on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting About This Mac.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 36 (3,115 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict macOS 10.14.5

Thank you so much for the response! I am directly downloading from Origin.

Yes, my code does pop up right before I installed. I am able to "copy it to my clipboard" which I do. I installed Sims 3 with the code, and it worked. I am able to load the Sims 3 launcher, that has the play button and shows custom content, etc. I am able to press the play button on the Sims 3 launcher, and then a new window pops up with a Sims 3 logo loading. Then there is the final prompt for the "registration code" again and anything I type does not work.

I have purchased the base game + University Life bundle, which comes with two codes. I tried entering both codes manually, through copy paste, and neither of them work.
Message 3 of 36 (3,109 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

@sparkling_aria7 I'll send you a DM in a bit Standard smile

Jason.png
Message 4 of 36 (3,087 Views)

Re: Invalid registration code

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem with macOS, I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012. With Mojave I’m able to get the newer updates and I bought the game off steam and took the CD keys for The Sims 3, Generations, Seasons, and Pets. When transferring the keys over to Origin the games pop up in the library and download and install properly and on launch it asks for the registration/ product code again, where you re-enter it and it goes away and pops up again as if nothing even happened.

Message 5 of 36 (3,393 Views)

[ Edited ]

@r34rdon_821  I've moved your post to the Mac section, since the other was in the PC section and the original poster never came back to say whether this was happening in Windows or macOS.  Now merged.

You're saying that the base game and packs are all properly installed and showing in Documents?  Where in the process are you asked for the code—when you try to open the launcher, or after the launcher opens and you press play?  This might be a new problem, but I'm not sure yet.  (You're the second person to say something like this, but the first was kind of vague and I think originally bought the game via disc.)

Could you take a screenshot of the error?  Hit cmd-shift-4 and drag your cursor over the section of screen you want to capture.  The pic will land on your desktop, and you can attach it directly to a post.  Just be sure to black out any personal info, or your game code if it's showing.

Message 6 of 36 (3,386 Views)

★★★★ Novice

There is no error message it simply just asks for the registration code and when typing it in and clicking done it doesn’t go away and just asks for it again 

Message 8 of 36 (3,362 Views)

@r34rdon_821  The reason I asked for screenshots is that I wanted to know where exactly you were running into trouble.  This is the way it's supposed to work:

You download the base game (or a pack), then when it's done, you click Install.  You get a screen with the product code showing:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.11.03 PM.png

What I did here was use cmd-C to copy the 20-character code, blacked out in the above screenshot.  Then after I clicked Install and got through the first few screens, the installer asked me for the code:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.13.31 PM.png

I put my cursor in the first box and used cmd-V to paste the code.  When I clicked Continue, it worked.  Is this where you kept getting asked for a code over and over?  If so, please make sure you're using the code that corresponds to the content you're installing.  Each pack has its own code, of course, and you need to use that, not the base game code.  In the above screenshot, where it says "The Sims 3™ Registration," it will say the name of the pack you're installing, so you'll know which code to use.

If this isn't the part of the process that's asking you for a code, please tell me where it's happening, and take a screenshot of the message.  As I said, this might be a new error, although I've installed TS3 into Mojave several times without any issues.  My codes are also from Steam, by the way.

Message 9 of 36 (3,346 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Putting the code into that format works I can try to get a screenshot to post when I get the MacBook back, it’s my girlfriends I got it for her for her bday and one of the main reasons she wanted it was for Sims 3 so it’s just annoying as all hell that I can’t get it to work lol

Message 10 of 36 (3,339 Views)