Re: Problems installing Sims3Packs (TS3 64-bit)

by kwado2

Original Post

Re: Monte Vista Won't Download/Install

[ Edited ]

@StarrySkySimmer  I just tried downloading Monte Vista myself, using Firefox, into a clean Sims 3 folder.  I initially saw the same thing as you: box and arrows, no corresponding file in ...The Sims 3 > Downloads, and I thought there might be a problem with the world.  But while I was setting up another world to download instead, MV suddenly looked normal, and there was a corresponding Sims3Pack in the Downloads folder.  It also installed correctly.

I'm wondering whether it's possible that there's some temp file that store worlds are supposed to create while downloading, and that the store can't create that file for MV.  This is just speculation, but one useful test would be trying to download the world into a new admin user account on your Mac.  If it worked, you could transfer the Sims3Pack file to the Downloads folder in your main account and then install it from there.  This would bypass most, although not all, of the locations where a temp file might be written.

Edit:  I tested again, downloading Midnight Hollow once, deleting it from the Downloads folder, and trying to install it again.  It never downloaded properly, although I did notice a zero-byte text file that didn't disappear.  It turns out this is the temp file I was looking for.  It's just a string of numbers and a few letters, without even an extension after it.  Do you get one of those in the Downloads folder when you try to download MV?  Does it help to restart your computer and try again?

The download can take a while too, especially if your internet is slow; I thought both MV and MH had failed to download the first time I tried it just now.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 271 of 394 (408 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello! I'm having a weird issue I haven't seen anyone discuss yet.

I followed your initial guide, and after I deleted all of the 5 cache files from my game (as well as deleting the cache from my internet browser), it worked for a while! I was able to successfully install about 30 pieces of new cc. However, for some reason it then stopped working - and I still have a lot of other cc I want to install.

Now, the uninstalled cc is still showing up in the launcher, but it will not let me install it. Each time I try to install the new cc from the launcher, the new window just never opens up, I get a spinning wheel of death, and have to force quit the new launcher window because it stops responding. 

Oddly, each time I now try to go in and delete the 5 cache files before trying the process again, only 4 cache files appear -- scriptCache.package seems to be missing. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Message 272 of 394 (468 Views)

@kwado2  The scriptCache file should be there, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least not by itself.  Please go through the launcher's Installed Content tab looking for any cc you didn't mean to install.  It's possible you downloaded some bad cc without knowing it and that this is preventing you from installing more.  If you do find an item you didn't want, uninstall it, restart your computer, and try to install another cc item.

If that doesn't help, please let me know whether you have iCloud enabled and set to automatically sync the contents of Documents with cloud storage.

Message 273 of 394 (457 Views)

★ Apprentice

@kwado2 @puzzlezaddict the script.cache file appears after the game is launched, it won’t appear if you haven’t actually pressed play and opened the game. @puzzlezaddict Ive tried a lot to fix my problem and until they release an update fixing everything I’m just going to give up because my computer runs pretty slowly and it’s just frustrating. Thank you for your help, I’ll just stick to CC and no store content.

Message 274 of 394 (452 Views)

Re: Monte Vista Won't Download/Install

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Oh my gosh, thank you for your help!! After several hours of wrestling with it, I've managed to get all my purchases downloaded! You're the best!

Message 275 of 394 (395 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for your response! 

I didn't see anything suspicious in the installed content tab, but just for curiosity I tried to uninstall one piece of cc -- and the exact same thing happened as before. The new launcher window tried to open, couldn't, spinning wheel of death, had to force quit the program. So it appears I am both unable to install and uninstall cc. 

I'm 90% sure I don't have iCloud enabled, but is there a way I can double check this?

Message 276 of 394 (618 Views)

★ Apprentice

@kwado2 Try making a new Sims 3 file. Take the current one out and put it on your desktop, then launch and play the game. Then try to install, if that doesn’t work, delete the .cache files and then repair the game. I’ve had the spinning wheel of death problem and it’s very frustrating. Hang in there and we’ll try to help you figure it out. What are your computer specs & what computer do you have?

Message 277 of 394 (613 Views)

@kwado2  For iCloud, open a Finder window and click iCloud Drive.  If you only see a button to open iCloud preferences, you haven't set it up.  Alternately, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen, select System Preferences, then iCloud; if you're asked for an Apple ID and password, it's not enabled.

If iCloud isn't the issue, move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download a new copy of one item you'd like to install, and see whether it installs properly.  Let me know either way.

@mkbucklin  The scriptCache.package file is created along with the other four cache files, or at least it should be.  Opening the launcher doesn't generate any of them.

Message 278 of 394 (604 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict @Mine generates when I play the game, it doesn’t automatically generate.

Message 279 of 394 (607 Views)

@mkbucklin  That's what I'm saying, that scriptCache.package and the other four cache files are generated when the game is launched, not when the launcher itself is opened.  The other poster said they had four cache files but not scriptCache.

Message 280 of 394 (605 Views)