Having a problem downloading content from the Sims 3 Store

by VeroniqueBellamy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 64-bit: problems installing store/custom content

[ Edited ]

A number of people are reporting issues when trying to install .Sims3Pack-based content, whether Store items or custom content.

Your previously downloaded files may not work in your new install.  Please try downloading a fresh copy of at least one store item or two custom content items before troubleshooting.

Always delete your cache files after adding (or removing) content from your game.

Open Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3, and delete the five cache files in that folder.  They will regenerate the next time you launch the game.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If you click Install in the launcher and nothing happens

Please close the launcher and open it again, and if that doesn't work, quit Origin and reopen it.

If you see an Error Downloading Content {0} or critical system failure

These errors are caused by missing .plist files in ~/Library/Application Support/Origin/Installer Data.  If you're wondering whether this is the underlying issue with your game, another symptom is having the base game icon grayed out along the bottom of the launcher.

With the November 9 update for Sims 3, repairing the game should create or restore the Installer Data folder and place the relevant .plist files inside.  (Open your Origin game library, right-click or crtl-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.)  If your base game icon is still grayed out, run the Origin reset tool for macOS, repair again, and try to install your content.

If you have this issue and your base game icon is not grayed out in the launcher, move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts, open the launcher to create a new folder, and try to download a fresh copy of one item.  If it works, you can continue to download and install your content in small batches.

Sims3Pack can't be opened (there is no file set to open...)

Downloaded .Sims3Pack-based custom content cannot for now be opened automatically or double-clicked to install.  Here's how to install a downloaded Sims3Pack:

• When you click Download, choose "Save file" rather than "Open with."  The file will land in your Downloads folder.
  • If you've downloaded a .zip file, double-click to open it.  Do not double-click a Sims3Pack.
  • Move your Sims3Pack to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads.
  • Open the launcher's Downloads tab, check the box next to your downloaded file, and click Install.

Store content was installed but no longer loads

Please try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.  If that doesn't help, run the Origin reset tool for macOS:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Restart your computer, and repair again.

Mods or .package-based cc doesn't work

The Mods folder works in this version of Sims 3 the same way it always has.  If you're having trouble getting your Mods folder to work, please refer to the instructions where you downloaded the content.  And be sure to delete the cache files listed above.

Please remember that .package files should not be opened and cannot be seen in the launcher.  Simply place them in Mods > Packages, delete the cache files, and the game should read them when loading.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 390 (35,544 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Problems installing Sims3Packs (TS3 64-bit)

[ Edited ]

Marked as a solution for visibility

For anyone still having issues installing store or custom content, the update today (November 9) has fixed the underlying problem that is the most common cause of an "Error downloading content" or "critical system failure."

If you have this issue, please repair the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.  Then open the launcher and see whether the base game icon in the lower left corner is grayed out.  If it's now green, the underlying issue should be solved, and you should be able to install content again.

Although the underlying cause of expansion and stuff pack icons being grayed out is the same, that is not addressed in this fix.  However, the grayed out pack icons should not affect your ability to install or use store or custom content.

If you still get the same errors when downloading or installing content, and your base game icon is NOT grayed out in the launcher, please move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents/Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, and download a fresh copy of one item to test.

View in thread

Message 163 of 390 (34,235 Views)

All Replies

Can't install Sims 3 Store Store Purchased Content on Mac (64 bit-Metal)

★★★ Novice

I successfully installed the new 64 bit - metal version of Sims 3 on my MacBook and the related expansion packs that I owned and played it to make sure it worked.   At first the game did not show in my Origin library but when I contacted through the live chat they were able to make it show up for me.  Yay!  I also had asked the chat person if the previously purchased content that I bought years ago in the Sims 3 Store would work and they said it would.  But when I went to download one small item as a test it did not work.   The Launcher opened and the icon for the item showed as a brown box and then i got a pop up error message staging "There was an error Downloading Content {0}".  I tried it on Safari first and then on Firefox and had issue with both.   Also tried the "repair" option on the game in Origin to make sure and that went through easily but still got the error with the content.    

I spent real dollars on these items and it would be a shame to not be able to access them, and it kind of ruined my buzz of playing the game again.  Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 390 (33,735 Views)

Re: Can't install Sims 3 Store Store Purchased Content on Mac (64 bit-Metal)

[ Edited ]

@nlferrari  Please move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to create a new folder, and download one item from the store, using Firefox.  If it doesn't work, clear the caches for both Firefox and Safari, quit Origin and restart it, and try again.

If that doesn't help, please open a Finder window, hold down the optn(alt) key, click Go at the top of your screen, then select Library.  From there, open Application Support > Origin, and see whether you have a folder inside labeled Installer Data.  If you do, please open it, take a screenshot of its contents, and attach it to a post.

If you don't have the folder, create one; be sure to get the name and case exactly right.  If you have one, trash it and make a new one.  Then try to install a new download of one item, and let me know whether it works.  It may help to install a Store item first, although I'm not sure.

Message 2 of 390 (33,732 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you for your advice so quickly! I tried all the steps you suggested, there wasn't an Installer Data folder so I created one and tried again I may have to reach out to EA/live chat again and see if they can help me troubleshoot! Just in case it helps and I wasn't clear enough, the items I'm trying to download are Store items and not 3rd party/custom content. Not sure if that'd make a difference or not! - Thanks again!
Message 3 of 390 (33,710 Views)

@nlferrari  Just to be clear, you're still getting exactly the same error as before, and despite the suggestions?  Are you downloading store content from the same account (username and password) as you use to sign into Origin?  Store content is encrypted and won't work when the product key for the installed game doesn't match what's on file in the account.

Do you have an antivirus that might be blocking store stuff, or a cleaner app that might be getting in the way?  If so, try disabling the app.

Message 4 of 390 (33,692 Views)
Highlighted

Having a problem downloading content from the Sims 3 Store

★★★★★ Guide

Hello, so I tried downloading some of the DLC I purchased but unfortunately, the launcher seems to be unable to download that content. Here is the output from Sims3LauncherLogFile.log:

2020/10/29|01:20:00|OFB-SIM3:72090|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||Build Version: 1.70.292.024017|Platform: Mac|Locale: en_US|Content URL: http://store.thesims3.com|Web Services URL: http://igs.thesims3.com|
2020/10/29|01:20:09|OFB-SIM3:70233|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||
2020/10/29|01:20:36|OFB-SIM3:21889|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||
2020/10/29|01:21:16|OFB-SIM3:21889|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||Build Version: 1.70.292.024017|Platform: Mac|Locale: en_US|Content URL: http://store.thesims3.com|Web Services URL: http://igs.thesims3.com|
2020/10/29|01:23:42|OFB-SIM3:72090|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||
2020/10/30|21:27:46|OFB-SIM3:19074|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||Build Version: 1.70.292.024017|Platform: Mac|Locale: en_US|Content URL: http://store.thesims3.com|Web Services URL: http://igs.thesims3.com|
2020/10/30|21:27:48|OFB-SIM3:18779|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||
2020/10/30|21:27:55|OFB-SIM3:70233|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||
2020/10/30|21:27:59|OFB-SIM3:72090|Store Download Failure. Failed to transform header||||

Is there any particular reason for this? Anything I can do to troubleshoot it?

Message 6 of 390 (35,048 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've tried the steps in the "there was an error Downloading Content {0}" and none have worked. Please help.

Message 7 of 390 (35,420 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I've tried all the steps and still have critical error. Please help me Frown
Message 8 of 390 (35,371 Views)

Re: Having a problem downloading content from the Sims 3 Store

@VeroniqueBellamy  What error are you seeing from the launcher?  It's hard to know what to say without some context.

Message 9 of 390 (35,030 Views)

@Tolkeininmysleep and @Babi2410  What are you trying to install?  Do all your packs appear as installed in the launcher?

Message 10 of 390 (35,372 Views)