Re: Problems installing CC

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Problems installing CC

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi, I'm sorry I don't know how to make a post and I didn't find anything in the forums that answered my question. I was wondering if you could help me out. I can download things that are zip files, but nothing that is a package file. I followed everything I found on downloading CC. I got to the EA folder, sims 4, and put it in the tray. I tried to go and put them in the mods folder, but I get a popup that says my computer needs something to open package files. Zip files I have no problem with. I just drag everything to the mods folder and I'm done. Do you know what I should do? I don't know if I need an extractor or something. I have a macbook and purchased sims 4 on origin.

Message 1 of 9 (3,060 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion

Stuffit Expander is an app you find on the internet. I did check the App Store and found one free program and others you have to pay money for. I personally use Stuffit Expander which is free and it works fine for both .rar and .zip files.

And yes, Mojave is 10.14 for the current Mac OS. You can find information about your Mac if you click on the Apple Logo in the Upper Left Hand corner of your screen.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 7 of 9 (2,961 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sims CC Hair won't change colors

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@LittletaIks 1. The game will auto gen the needed mods folder inside you sims document folder once you run your game one time and it does not belong in the tray folder. Tray is your library, not anything to do with mods.

2. Zip files still have to be unzipped and put in the mods folder. The only thing you should have in your mods folder is .package or .script files. You dont leave cc or mods zipped. 

3. You dont open package files. You just cut and paste them into your mods folder. Best to organize right off. I'd keep cc no deeper than 5 sub folders, and script mods can only go one deep. You dont double click or your computer will try to open, and give you the popup that you need something to open said file. Dont double click. Cut and paste .package and .script into mods folder

Message 2 of 9 (3,045 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@xoChelleJoxo I'm sorry I don't quite understand. When I download a package file, the file doesn't go anywhere. It says it needs some other application to be opened and then it disappears because I don't know what to do so I cancel it. The only thing I have had luck with is a zip file instead and I move them to the mods folder. Actually, I have only had mods successfully installed. I tried to download a house and it was a zip file and I put it in the mods folder after it didn't work in the tray folder and it didn't come up on the list of custom stuff at the start of the game. I did download a no CC house though so I don't know if it would pop up in that or not. So, are you saying that even if it says I can't open it and it disappears, it still goes into my computer? When I find it I just move it to the mods folder?

Message 3 of 9 (3,039 Views)

Hero

Hi @LittletaIks

I split your post and moved over to Mac.

The thread you posted in was about a different issue.

Carry onl

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 9 (3,004 Views)

Champion

@LittletaIks, first of all you need a program like Stuffit Expander to make sure that you can uncompress a file. Stuffit Expander should be free and you need to download the version that matches your version of your Mac OS.  "Zipped" files usually end in the extensions ".zip" or ".rar". In order for Sims 4 to run CC or mods, the uncompressed file has to end in the extension of ".package". Once you uncompress your piece of CC, you place it in your Mods folder in the Sims 4 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 > Mods). The Tray folder is where houses go if you download them from sites other than the Gallery. 

Please report back.

Message 5 of 9 (2,996 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Tremayne4260 Okay. So do I download that on my app store or is that from the internet? Also, is the version you are talking about Mojavi? Or is there some other place that shows me a version number? And thank you @crinrict. I apologize for posting in the wrong place, still getting my bearings. Disappointed

Message 6 of 9 (2,978 Views)

Champion

Stuffit Expander is an app you find on the internet. I did check the App Store and found one free program and others you have to pay money for. I personally use Stuffit Expander which is free and it works fine for both .rar and .zip files.

And yes, Mojave is 10.14 for the current Mac OS. You can find information about your Mac if you click on the Apple Logo in the Upper Left Hand corner of your screen.

Message 7 of 9 (2,962 Views)
Highlighted

@LittletaIks

There are several apps you can use to unzip compressed files. I personally use one called The Unarchiver as it can unarchive more formats than any other app available. I have also written a helpful little guide here on how to extract compressed files, with a further link to how to properly install CC Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 9 (2,945 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Tremayne4260 Thank you! Thanks to everyone really!

Message 9 of 9 (2,919 Views)