Poor graphics/low-resolution/graphics glitches (TS3 64-bit)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Re: Poor graphics/low-resolution/graphics glitches (TS3 64-bit)

★★★ Novice

My graphics are awful, i tried to set everything to low again because of the glitches i get on screen with it being high, but low is unplayable because everything meshes into one and you cannot see the actual details on anything so whether it is low, medium, high, or very high, i struggle with the game graphically and i have tried every mode. i have some screenshots of what my monitor looks like when the game is even loading (and it is like that to play as well) and how they look. this is unplayable.

Message 41 of 49 (1,505 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've been having issues with screen tearing on my 16" MBP that should be able to run the game flawlessly. Below is some info Standard smile

Mac Specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

In Game Graphics Settings:

Playing in windowed mode

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 2.31.25 PM.png

First 40 Lines:

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 5 CPU: 4 RAM: 5 CPU Speed: 2400 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4080 RAM: 32768 Adjusted RAM: 32256 Cores: 8
Card Found in DB: 1
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Mac OS X Version 10.15.2 (Build 19C57)
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 15
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: MacBookPro16,1
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz
Family: 8
Model: 7
Cores: 8
HT: 1
x64: 1
Memory: 32768MB
Free memory: 3881MB
User: michael
Computer: Michaels-MacBook-Pro
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Name (database): AMD Radeon Pro 5500M [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 7340, Board: 0000020f, Chipset: 0040
Driver: macOS Metal driver, Version: 0.0.0.0
Driver version: 0
Monitor: 00000000
Texture memory: 8176MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 0

Message 42 of 49 (1,481 Views)

@Rhazya  Edge scrolling doesn't work in windowed mode for me either, which is how I prefer it.  In Windows, I have to disable it when switching to windowed mode or else the game camera keeps moving in the direction my mouse went when it left the game window to click on something else.  I think this was also the case in the 32-bit version in macOS.  I'm not sure it's a bug or glitch, probably more by design.

The GPU usage can also drive up the fans, since the cooling apparatus is attached to and (hopefully) attuned to both.  When you were playing in fullscreen, you were also playing at a lower resolution than you presumably are now; fewer pixels to render means less work for the graphics card.  I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want, you can download a monitoring app like iStat (there's a free 14 day trial) or Macs Fan Control (I think the free version doesn't expire) and see what your CPU and GPU temps look like when playing.

We still haven't figured out exactly how the game recognizes our cards—they're not in the .sgr files, which look like they haven't changed from the 32-bit version.  But yes, it's nice not to have to edit the files manually.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 43 of 49 (1,466 Views)

@xMyNameIsMaddiex  Your graphics chip is below the minimum requirement for the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  While that doesn't mean you can't play, it does mean you can't really expect to be able to play on high, or perhaps even medium, settings without excessively taxing your hardware.  I understand that the game looks bad on low settings, but that may be all your laptop can handle.

On the other hand, the static on-screen doesn't look great.  Is there a chance you could get the laptop checked out at an Apple store?  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it's possible, and it might be worth asking someone to take a look in-person.

By the way, I hope you're not playing on battery.  The game is quite demanding, and you should only play it while your laptop is plugged in.

Message 44 of 49 (1,465 Views)

@itsmikeee64   A lot of us are seeing screen tearing or rippling, even on (maybe especially on) dedicated graphics cards that should be more than capable of ultra settings.  The only suggestion as of now is to experiment with different resolutions and see whether you can find one that minimizes the issue.  When in fullscreen, be sure to use a resolution with the same aspect ratio as your screen.

Message 45 of 49 (1,462 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I did not realise about the graphics card as i was unsure about the requirement. Makes a lot of sense but i luckily have been able to play with the settings on medium just fine, i seem to run into more problems when its low. High definitely does not work though and now i know why. 

I also do play sims 3 whilst its plugged in anyway as it runs out so quickly if i do not lol but i will get the screen checked, though where i live there is a national lockdown for a month so i may need to wait or speak to Apple through chat and send pictures. The static on screen only happens when i play sims and never is the issue for anything else but like you say, it is worth the check. 

Thank you. 

Message 46 of 49 (1,434 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello! I don't know if this is the right thread, but this is what keeps happening to my game. I do have CC installed, and it reacts this way with both Package files installed and Sims3Packs. I actually have trouble getting the game open at all with the use of Sims3Packs, but it opened after I uninstalled a lot! Anyways, my games been glitching like made, it hasn't been flashing red but it's been flashing like this though. I don't really know what to do? Thanks!

I have a 2020 Macbook Air, 8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

I have also attached the first 40 lines of the deviceconfig.log.

Message 47 of 49 (1,098 Views)

Re: 64 Bit & Metal Screen Tearing on 16" MBP

★★★ Newbie

I just realized that I have this same issue! 2020 Macbook Air!

Message 48 of 49 (1,098 Views)

Re: 64 Bit & Metal Screen Tearing on 16" MBP

★★★ Newbie

I think someone suggested making my graphics lower! And now my game works (yay!) With CC at that WOOHOO! There is grain in the hair though, which I will look past cause at least my game works!

Message 49 of 49 (1,087 Views)