Plumbobs disappear

by sparilis

Original Post

Plumbobs disappear

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I'm having an issue where plumbobs disappear and reappear at random times. I think I first noticed it when my Sims traveled to China. Not only did the plumbobs disappear but even though I was able to rotate from sim to sim using the space bar, the control panel only showed one particular sim, no matter which one I was focused on (there were 6 in the family).  I restarted the game and everything resolved itself for a while. The control panel issue has not returned but the plumbob issue recurs from time to time in their home world. In addition to China, I've also had this happen in both Island Paradise and Twin Brook.

edited to remove tag from title.  -puzzlezaddict

Message 1 of 5 (960 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE 64-bit] Plumbobs disappear

★★★★★ Apprentice
@sparilis im playing in isla paradisa and also lost my plumbob after travelling
Message 2 of 5 (942 Views)

Re: Plumbobs disappear

@sparilis and @champion_hustler  The travel transition is fragile and can break easily, although disappearing plumbobs is an unusual symptom.  In general, it's best to save, quit, delete your cache files, and reload after your sims arrive at their destination, to free up RAM and other resources that might not have been released from running the original world.  For reference, the cache files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If you use mods or don't mind adding a few, NRaas Traveler replaces the EA travel transition with a much more stable version.  Having Traveler, ErrorTrap, and Overwatch (also from NRaas) greatly reduces the chance that the save will break during travel, and ET and OW do a lot of useful cleanup in general.

However, I'd be worried about a save where sims regularly disappeared from the portrait panel, even if the problem consistently resolved itself.  I don't think I've personally seen that happen in years, at least not for more than a split second as something was loading.  Are there any other signs of corruption?  Does the save run well overall, or do you notice excess lag or stutter, or other performance issues?

Additionally, if you use mods, please list them, unless they contain adult content, in which case just list the creators so I know which ones you mean.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 5 (938 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Hi, can anyone help me.

When I'm playing with all cc and Nraas Master Controller mod, my plumbob icon above my sims seem to disappear after playing for one sim day.
I have reset the sims with (resetsim *) that doesn't help. I then reset the whole town with MC, that doesn't help either.
Next i removed my downloads folder, mods folder, saved games folder and installed worlds folder to my desktop, and deleted the sims 3 folder.
Relaunched the sims 3 to start a new sims 3 folder in electronic arts.
Create a Mods folder in electronic arts and install Nrass Master controller, Error Trap, Overwatch, nointro.package and Nobuildsparkles.package. Nothing else.
Started a new world and played for a few sims days and plumbob was there. Saved the game as well
Then i installed one hair .package file in my Mods>Packages folder.
Launch the game play for a one sims day and the plumbob was there, then the next sims day the plumbob would go missing. I did reset the sims with (resetsim *) and it did work for half of the sim day and then the plumbob went missing again, tried to reset with (resetsim *) and didn't work also reset whole town with MC and reset just the Lot with MC, still nothing happened and plumbob was missing. Didn't save the game when the plumbob went missing.
Next i would quit the game without saving, remove the .package hair file from mods folder, and relaunch the game. Plumbob was there, also played two sims days, and was still there. Saved the game.
I installed and removed the .packages files with two different hairs and the same thing would happen.

Message 4 of 5 (870 Views)

★★ Novice

I think I might have fixed my problem, will have to do more playing around with it. 
I put all my cc and downloads back in the game and played for a while and the plumbob did disappear, I decided to send my sim to University and as soon as I went I played for few sim days and the plumbob was still there. Also while wearing cc hair and clothes.
Will see what happens when I go back to sunset valley and see if the plumbob disappears again. 

Message 5 of 5 (856 Views)