Re: Origin won't open mac

by jennidarling

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't open mac

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I want to open Origin to play Sims 4, and it doesn't work. The origin icon jumps and it opens a white window like the app is starting, but it never does. I had to force quit. I tried to restart Origin, but it makes no difference. I also read every post about this topic, and tried that thing about erasing some specific Internet Plug-ins, but I didn't had any plug-ins in the folder to erase.
I didn't find anything useful. I ran out of things to do and the problem is still there. I want to play and I can´t, and I don´t know what else to do. I also read maybe this is some problem regarding the update to macOS Sierra or something, and that it needs to be fixed by Apple or Origin or both, thus there's nothing left for me to do but wait. 

I don´t know how to proceed. Please help me, or inform me about the situation.

Thank you in advance.

Here is some info you might find useful:

• Mac specs: MacBook Pro, 2.9GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.
  • I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra from a previous version of OS X. Version 10.12.3

(edit: took out re: from title)

Message 1 of 82 (89,919 Views)

Accepted Solution

@melnuesch

Ok. Can you please try the download and connectivity suggestions in the Origin stickied thread here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/MAC-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p/5371659#M3387 (flushing the DNS may help).

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 4 of 82 (99,923 Views)

All Replies

@melnuesch

Origin works perfectly fine in Sierra so that's not the issue. Can you please run the Origin reset tool and then try opening it again?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 82 (89,687 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I did that already, and it didn't work (I have the same problem). :/

And if I try opening the Sims 4 it says "you need to install Origin. Origin isn't installed yet, and you need it to play the game". I already reset it, downloaded the latest version of origin, put Origin in the Applications folder, and tried to run it.

It asks me to agree with the license terms, then asks me to install the Origin Helper tool, asks me If I want origin to open when when you start the computer and that stuff, and then it asks me to log in. At that point, everything is fine. When I put my account info and try to log in, starts logging but never finishes. It stays in a white origin window forever.

Origin in macOS Sierra ran perfectly once, yes, but now it doesn't. It don't seem to be due to macOS Sierra... but I don't know why it is! I didn't do anything new in the computer since the last time it worked.. (it was a couple of days ago).

I move to another country, from South America to Germany. I thought maybe that could do have done something (regarding my account or something), but last week I played Sims 4 from here...

Message 3 of 82 (89,676 Views)

@melnuesch

Ok. Can you please try the download and connectivity suggestions in the Origin stickied thread here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/MAC-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p/5371659#M3387 (flushing the DNS may help).

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 82 (99,924 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

The proxy thing worked! 

I had to unmark the "Auto Proxy Discovery" box. The rest didn't work, but when I did the proxy thing origin initiated and started updating my games.

It's ok to use the computer without that box marked, or it would cause any problems?

Thank you so much! :D

Message 5 of 82 (89,657 Views)

@melnuesch

So pleased it's working again for you and thanks for replying with what exactly worked Standard smile

It's fine to have it unchecked. In fact it is unchecked by default so it would have been manually enabled at some point.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 82 (89,655 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Having the same problem, I've gone through ALL of the troubleshooting options but no luck. I've got a white box when I try to open Origin OR The Sims.

Message 7 of 82 (89,521 Views)

@jennidarling

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 82 (89,516 Views)

★★★ Newbie

MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

AVG antivirus, has been turned off

I have a white screen when I try to open Origin (cannot log in, have to force close), I have gone through EVERY part of the troubleshooting. I've even deleted Origin (completely, step by step) and reinstalled it. 

I have removed all mods.

Message 9 of 82 (89,511 Views)

@jennidarling

Thanks. Just to clarify:

- Have you run the Origin reset tool?

- Have you moved out your whole Sims 4 folder (not just the Mods folder) to your desktop and then tried to launch the game?

If neither of the above make a difference, can you please create a new user account on your Mac and try launching the game in that account.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 82 (89,506 Views)