Origin Crash error Mac

by SparkllyPrincess

Original Post

Origin won’s start on Macbook

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello, I have a major problem. My origin won't launch every time I try to start it. When I try to start it, it just crashes and gives me this weird error saying "Origin has encountered a serious problem and must be closed now" since my laptop is in dutch it can maybe be a little more difficult to help me out but I try my best by translating and including pictures. (See Crash)

I've tried every solution there is online to help me fix Origin but unfortunately, nothing has helped. I tried the Origin reset tool, Reinstalling Origin, and even Delete Origin in a very specific way. I even restarted my laptop multiple times but nothing. Since I redownloaded the app multiple times, each time I tried installing it, there was an error saying "Warning... Resource in use" (see picture warning)

The last time my Origin was open and ready to play The Sims 4 was this morning, I restarted my laptop because I had some trouble with my wifi, and ever since my origin is crashing. Some people said it could be the sims 4 itself but I don't think that's the case because I've had that problem before and my origin was fine back then. Also like I said origin was fine this morning.

I also read this forum saying I should try to launch the game on another account so I did and logged in to my little sister's account on my laptop. I launched Origin and indeed it did launch, I could log in and all. But this does not solve the problem at all on my personal account because I want to play on my account.

I use a Macbook pro 2012 OS X El Capitan ver. 10.11.6.

I hope there is someone who can help me out.

Message 1 of 10 (935 Views)

Re: Origin won’s start on Macbook

@SparkllyPrincess

If it works in another account there is a problem with it in your normal account. Are you running any software in the background that may be causing the issue? Have you thought about updating El Capitan to Mojave or later?

There are numerous tips in the Origin Mac thread here you could also try - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 10 (894 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I use cleanmymacX but I don't know I've never had trouble with that. The weirdest thing is that it was perfectly fine yesterday in the morning and when I came home and used my laptop I had to restart it because I had some trouble with my wifi. So I restarted and ever since it keeps crashing.
Message 3 of 10 (887 Views)

@SparkllyPrincess

Urgh, those apps are the WORST. They often get rid of files they shouldn't and can even result in OS instability due to removing necessary system files. The best thing you can do is get rid of it, and all traces of it, from your Mac.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 10 (870 Views)
Highlighted

Origin Crash error Mac

★★★★★ Novice

Hello, I have a major problem. My origin won't launch every time I try to start it. When I try to start it, it just crashes and gives me this weird error saying "origin has encountered a serious problem and must close" since my laptop is in dutch it can maybe be a little more difficult to help me out but I try my best by translating and including pictures. (See Crash)

Since I re-downloaded the app multiple times, each time I tried installing it, there was an error saying "Warning... Resource in use" (see picture warning)

Here is everything I have tried to solve the problem:

- Reinstall Origin

- Use the reset origin tool

- Delete cache

- Delete origin the hard way

- Restart my laptop in safe mode

- Restarted my laptop with : Cmd + shift + R + P

- Check network and proxy

- Checked if I allowed downloads from outside the AppStore

- Check to see if the firewall was disabled

The last time my Origin was open and ready to play The Sims 4 was yesterday, I restarted my laptop because I had some trouble with my wifi, and ever since my origin is crashing. Some people said it could be the sims 4 itself but I don't think that's the case because I've had that problem before and my origin was fine back then. Also like I said origin was fine this morning.
I also read this forum saying I should try to launch the game on another account so I did and logged in to my little sister's account on my laptop. I launched Origin and indeed it did launch, I could log in and all. But this does not solve the problem at all on my personal account because I want to play on my account. I even tried copying all the origin files from my sister's account to mine but that didn't turn out as I wanted. I believe there is a much bigger problem going on within my laptop itself after I restarted it.

I contacted Apple today and they told me, there might be some software that I use that causes the issue. So I deleted NordVPN and CleanMyMAc X because they said this might affect Origin. Since that also wasn't the case they said I have to update my software. Since I have a bit of an older laptop I'm scared my laptop will become very slow after the update. I also find it weird because I have been playing the sims 4 on origin with this software for 2 years now. Apple also recommended me to make a backup from my laptop and erase the boot drive and go back to factory settings. I personally don't think that will solve my problem...

I use a Macbook pro 2012 OS X El Capitan ver. 10.11.6.

I hope there is someone who can help me out and knows a bit more about the issue I'm having.

If there is more information you need in order to help me out I'm happy to give you everything.

Message 5 of 10 (873 Views)

Re: Origin Crash error Mac

@SparkllyPrincess

Merged your post into your ongoing thread. Apple are spot on in their recommendations Standard smile Updating will also replace any files the cleaner app has removed. it also fixes permissions and any corrupted files.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 10 (856 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I’ll probably update it. But i was thinking of just moving all my documents, applications, photo’s and save files to my sisters account and just making me the admin there. Her account is clean and doesn’t have unnecessary app’s or weird files. I have so many weird files that i’m scared of deleting...

What would you recommend?
Message 7 of 10 (842 Views)

@SparkllyPrincess

Much better, and easier, to backup your stuff to an external drive although you could move to the Shared folder in Macintosh HD. You wouldn't copy the Applications as they are normally installed to the Macintosh HD > Applications folder, not your User account Applications folder, and you can't just copy apps, you have to install them. You would need to check what apps are installed where. These Apple pages may help:

Folders - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1143/mac make sure to click on the home folder link in the Library section to read about your Mac home folder

Sharing files - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1122/11.0/mac/11.0

Backing up - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/mac-backup

Time Machine - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201250

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 10 (825 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Yes i’ll back up on external drive just in case. All the applications i use are also on my sisters account. If i delete my account will those applications disappear? Because like my sims i can probably just move right?

If i download origin it will automatically download all my packs back.
Message 9 of 10 (806 Views)

@SparkllyPrincess

You need to look in your user account Applications folder AND the Macintosh HD Applications folder to see where apps are installed. Click on the Home folder > Applications to see what you have installed in your user account. Those are the apps that will disappear when you delete your user account.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 10 (797 Views)