Re: Origin needs to download (continuously when opened)?

by whatsausernamex

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Verifying Game Files Every Opening (even after hard uninstall of Origin)

★ Novice

My Sims 4 is installed on an external hard drive. I updated to Ventura just a few weeks ago. Since then, every time I open Sims 4, it needs to verify the files. Sometimes, it still won't open after the verification is complete and I need to close Origin and then re-open.

I always plug my hard drive in before I open Origin, but I very often still have to "download" the game over again upon opening. This never takes more than a few minutes or so though. The "verifying files" is something I'd never previously experienced and it is making opening the game take much longer.

Based on some other articles in the forum, I tried uninstalling Origin "the hard way." Then I reinstalled but I'm still experiencing the same issue.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/#uninstall-advanced

Any tips are much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 8 of 17 (858 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Verifying Game Files Every Opening (even after hard uninstall of Orig

@macklo7_

That makes sense. I think the permissions were tightened in Catalina which results in Origin verifying the files. Even with Origin having Full Disk Access in System Preferences it will still prompt to verify files. You will have allowed the access when prompted during the installation process.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 13 of 17 (921 Views)

All Replies

Origin needs to download (continuously when opened)?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have TS4 installed on my WD External HD as my MacBook Air only has 256GB and I'd rather have all games and anything important on an external device to make it easier to switch between my MacBook and iMac. I followed what was posted in this thread, https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-Can-t-find-External-Hard-Drive-in-Origin-MAC/td-p/86... , and it installed with no issues whatsoever. However, whenever I use the MBA and go to play, Origin is always saying I need to download and/or verify. Is this normal? I'm attaching screen shots of both my specs and External / Origin. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Message 1 of 17 (669 Views)

@whatsausernamex

Are you unplugging the drive regularly? It happens each time you plug it back in.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 17 (639 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I don't, I always have it plugged in even when MBA is off. If I need to transfer anything to my iMac, I always eject before unplugging. It's not a long process to get it running on here, I just don't get why Origin always wants to download or verify! 

Message 3 of 17 (635 Views)

@whatsausernamex

Yes, ejecting it is fine but the issue you're describing always happens after the drive has been unplugged/ejected/unmounted which makes sense if you are transferring stuff on the drive to another machine Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 17 (626 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I get that absolutely, but that's why I'm confused since I only ever unmount before removing the drive. I should have clarified it's only on occasion transferring files and have so far maybe once (music, etc) and first time this happened the external had not been touched or removed so I was a bit thrown as to why it was happening Standard smile

Message 5 of 17 (604 Views)

@whatsausernamex

Maybe it had been knocked out? I can't think of any other reason and it always happens. It doesn't matter whether the drive was properly ejected or not, the point is that the drive has been unplugged and then plugged back in again so Origin verifies that nothing has corrupted and all is as it should be.

I hardly ever turn off my Macs, maybe it happens after restarting too because the game is on an external?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 17 (594 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

I'm the same because I can't understand why it would prompt me to download and/or verify all the time either. My iMac 21.5" is my primary, and my MacBook Air was bought mostly for when I'm out and I want a good PC to take with me. Other than when I moved downloaded YouTube playlists from iMac to External Drive back in May, I always have it connected to MBA, so it could be a restarting issue, but still seems odd to me. I do have another 8TB drive I might test this out on and see if the same thing happens. Thanks for your help, though, it's much appreciated! Heart

Message 7 of 17 (576 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Verifying Game Files Every Opening (even after hard uninstall of Orig

@macklo7_

It'd because you are unplugging the drive and not leaving it plugged in all the time. Origin always verifies the files after you have unplugged then plugged in the drive again. There is nothing you can do to stop this unless you keep the drive plugged in.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 17 (830 Views)

★ Novice

I'm not sure that's the issue here. I've had Sims 4 on my external hard drive for a long time. Before I updated my laptop, it never had to verify the files. Sometimes I would have to click the "download" button upon opening but the "verifying files" window didn't pop up and the process of "downloading" only took 2 or 3 minutes whereas verifying files takes much longer. Additionally, other times, when I opened Origin, it didn't have to do anything, not even the download.

So this problem is new to my computer update. It hasn't always been this way with the external hard driver.

Message 10 of 17 (815 Views)