Origin is not installed…” error. How do I fix…?

by Rename23321

Original Post

Origin is not installed…” error. How do I fix…?

★★★★★ Novice

Was happily playing TS4 when the game crashed and sent me back to my Mac’s login screen with the error “Origin is not installed and is required to play your game. Please install Origin”.

So I deleted it, and downloaded the latest version (plus the Origin reset tool). Ran the reset tool, and tried running Origin again to be greeted with…

You can’t open the application ‘Origin’ because someone else is using it. Please ask the other user to quit the application, then try again”.

This is literally impossible as there in only one login on this machine - mine.

So I deleted Origin, ran the reset tool, and tried again. Same error (this application is being used by someone else).

So I delete it again, and created a new user login. It’s now completely wiped from my login and is only installed under the ‘Origin Troubleshooting’ login, yet I’m still receiving the error that it’s in use by someone else.

At this juncture, I don’t really care if I have to lose all my families and houses but, as I have every single expansion, game pack, stuff pack and kit, and a connection which makes early 90s dialup seem like high-speed fibre, I’m really not relishing the thought of spending the next week downloading everything and reinstalling (why can’t Maxis allow us to download the installation files and keep them, rather than have to go through this rigmarole every time the game fecks up…?).

2016 MacBook Pro. Latest version of Big Sur. Is there a (fairly) painless way to fix this, please…?

Message 1 of 5 (1,536 Views)

Re: Origin is not installed…” error. How do I fix…?

@Rename23321

That's a weird icon in the second screenshot for Finder. Which OS are you running?

Have you checked for any residual Origin files? https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 5 (1,522 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

You know it’s really not very helpful when the only response I get to an issue is someone asking me for info I have already provided in my initial question.

I very clearly stated, the latest version of Big Sur. 

It’s just happened again! Exactly the same as before. It crashed, threw me back to the login screen and, when I logged in again, got the ‘Origin is not installed’ error. The last time (which was only last Saturday) the only way I found to fix it was to wipe TS4 completely and reinstall. I have zero appetite for doing that every few days. 

Unless someone can assist me in determining what’s causing the problem, I can only conclude that, obviously, Origin isn’t compatible with Big Sur. Considering Monterey is due to be released in a couple of months that really is pretty poor, EA.

Message 3 of 5 (1,435 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Rename23321 And, in case anyone asks, no I have NOT installed any mods.
Message 4 of 5 (1,432 Views)

@Rename23321

I was hoping for the exact version of Big Sur. Origin is compatible with Big Sur, plenty of us are managing to happily play.

Good luck resolving your issue.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 5 (1,426 Views)