Origin help with 2020 mac

by LauraKl10

Original Post

Origin help with 2020 mac

★★★★★ Apprentice

I got a new Mac - and I'm trying to play with sims. I can't get origin to stay on the desktop. It shows as open, but keeps going off screen, and I can't pull it back up. Any one else have this issue?

Message 1 of 10 (510 Views)

Re: Origin help with 2020 mac

★★★ Newbie
@LauraKl10 I'm not having that issue in particular but I am having an issue with downloading my purchased stuff pack. I believe it's just Origin.
Message 2 of 10 (486 Views)

@LauraKl10

Origin normally minimises when you launch the game. If you're playing the game in full screen swipe across to your main desktop and you should see it. Or play the game in windowed mode so it is on the same desktop.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 10 (472 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It minimizes without issue. The problem is when it tries to expand after being minimized. It flies off the desktop

Message 4 of 10 (467 Views)

@LauraKl10

yes, is that because you are playing in fullscreen on a second desktop? Can you swipe across from the game screen to the normal desktop?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 10 (455 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Nope, I only have one desktop as I'm only playing on a laptop and I don't have a second monitor. So, I'm not quite sure why it's leaving the desktop

Message 6 of 10 (448 Views)

@LauraKl10

I don't mean a second Monitor, I mean a second desktop on your Mac screen Standard smile Do you play in full screen or windowed mode? If in full screen, use 3 or 4 finger swipe to the right and your desktop should switch to the normal one.

Apple has an article here explaining trackpad gestures https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204895 (default setting is 4 fingers but it can be changed in System Preferences > Trackpad to 3 fingers).

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 10 (445 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I usually don't have an issue getting back to desktop after playing in full screen. As soon as I quit the Sims, it goes straight back to my normal desktop. Then origin auto reopens - even though turned that off, but instead of opening on the desktop - it opens elsewhere. Swiping left/right with three fingers doesn't even bring it up. 

Message 8 of 10 (436 Views)

@LauraKl10

Ok. And it definitely isn't minimised in the Dock?

Does it also happen if you play in windowed mode?

What impact does this have on your game, does it mean you can't relaunch it once quitting?

You could try the Origin reset tool - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 10 (418 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I haven't tested windowed mode. I'm not a huge fan of windowed mode, but I might try that to see. It's definitely not minimized in the dock. The main impact this has is that I have to quit it and open it again after closing the game in order to get back in to origin. I can't just click it and have it pop back up. It was also moving when i left it in the background of the desktop for too long. 

Message 10 of 10 (403 Views)