Origin Installed Sim Expansion Packs and I can't find them and they don't run in gameplay! (MAC)

by brittneylneff

Original Post

Origin Installed Sim Expansion Packs and I can't find them and they don't run in gameplay! (MAC)

★ Novice

So I recently downloaded all of my Sim games on my new laptop through Origin. After I went to play the game, I realized some expansion packs were missing. 

On my Origin account, it says I have all of my expansion packs intalled and ready to go. HOWEVER, when the Sims launcher opens, the medallions at the bottom that highlight when you have installed expansions are not highlighted for two of the expansions I have installed: University Life and Seasons. No matter what I do, I can't play with them and when I click "Play" on them, the launcher opens up but the expansions aren't present there OR in game play.

Here's what I have tried:

1) Calling Origin (They are going to have a Mac expert call me back bc they couldn't help)

2) Installing and reinstalling Origin

3) Using Spotlight to search for the files of the two dysfuctional expansion packs

4) Opening Sims 3 Uninstaller (The games aren't there)

5) Gone through "Library" on my computer, as well as searched through my Sims 3 folders

6) Attempted to re-register the games on EA's website

and probably more...

Anyone have a clue to how I can find these files to either fix or uninstall/reinstall them?

Message 1 of 6 (14,504 Views)

Re: Origin Installed Sim Expansion Packs and I can't find them and they don't run in gameplay! (MAC)

Champion (Retired)

Hi

It sounds as though the downloads or installations of the missing expansion packs were disrupted or corrupted. Unfortunately this is not uncommon.

Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

First thing to do is to go into Applications on your Mac and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall.

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:
http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Installation order:

If you own more than just the base game, it is recommended that you install the packs in order of release date, which is as follows.

TS3 (base game)
World Adventures - EP
High End Loft - SP
Ambitions - EP
Fast Lane - SP
Late Night - EP
Outdoor Living - SP
Generations - EP
Town Life - SP
Pets - EP
Master Suite - SP
Showtime - EP
Katy Perry's Sweet Treats - SP
Diesel - SP
Supernatural - EP
Seasons - EP
70s, 80s, 90s - SP
University - EP
Island Paradise - EP
Movie Stuff - SP
Into the Future- EP

Message 2 of 6 (14,455 Views)

Re: Origin Installed Sim Expansion Packs and I can't find them and they don't run in gameplay! (MAC)

★★★ Newbie

Having the EXACT same problem, but I have a PC. Any ideas on what I can do so they can work?

Message 3 of 6 (14,047 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@micahmusprime wrote:

Having the EXACT same problem, but I have a PC. Any ideas on what I can do so they can work?

Please start a new thread and describe your PC specs and the issue you are having. Then one of the PC helpers will try to answer your questions. Posting in a thread tagged for Mac is likely to mean that the PC helpers overlook your query.

Thanks, Caspin

Message 4 of 6 (14,038 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have that same problem! i know you said that like a year ago but i just dont know what to do. glad i wasnt the only one.Confusedmileylol:

Message 5 of 6 (14,035 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@PeytonRitz wrote:

I have that same problem! i know you said that like a year ago but i just dont know what to do. glad i wasnt the only one.Confusedmileylol:

Hi

Are you on Mac or PC? Do you still need help - if so please start a thread and detail your problems.

Caspin

Message 6 of 6 (14,026 Views)