Origin Crashing on Startup

by EHalden

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Crashing on Startup

★★★ Novice

I have been playing Sims 4 on my mac for over a year, recently I had to force quit my game because it froze when downloading a house from the gallery. When I tried to reopen Origin the icon bounced but refused to open. I followed multiple tutorials to fix Origin and the Sims but nothing seemed to work. I then tried deleting both in the easy and hard ways then reinstalled but nothing seems to work, I can only get to the point where I accept the terms and conditions. Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 10 (1,894 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin Crashing on Startup

@EHalden  Honestly, I'm not sure why Origin wouldn't properly download and install on your system.  Its recent issues were with Yosemite, not El Capitan (and Mojave, but that's another story).  You have enough free storage on your computer, although I suppose it's possible that you had much less before uninstalling TS4.  Still, you should be able to install Origin now, especially on a new user account.  (By the way, macbook airs don't have dedicated graphics cards, so you're not missing anything there.)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about how Origin works on macs will have better advice for you, but in the meantime, you can try the other steps outlined in this troubleshooting thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p/5371659...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (1,795 Views)

All Replies

Champion

Have you tried simply restarting your computer? Just wondering if something is running that may be causing issues.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 10 (1,864 Views)

★★★ Novice
I have, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work either. Thanks for your help though!
Message 3 of 10 (1,855 Views)

@EHalden  You can try uninstalling Origin the hard way again, then creating a new user on your mac and installing Origin through that.  Make sure the new user has Admin privileges.

If that doesn't help, please post your mac's specs here as described in the post below.  Please also check the "Storage" tab under About this Mac and list the free and total storage available.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

Message 4 of 10 (1,847 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry for the delayed response! I attempted it but unfortunately, I have the same issue as with my current user. 

OS X El Captain

Version: 10.11.6

Model: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I cannot find any dedicated graphics under Graphics/Displays section in the system report

Flash storage: 53.28 GB free

Antivirus: I turned off my antivirus and firewall when following different tutorials, my antivirus is just the total protection plan from Apple

Expansion and Stuff Packs: Cats and Dogs, Jungle Adventure and Parenthood

CC/Mods: I do not use or download intentionally but perhaps the house I attempted to download had some CC, I believe it would have been deleted when I removed sims and origin the hard way

Please let me know if there is anything else I can give you, thank you so much for your help!

Message 5 of 10 (1,813 Views)

@EHalden  Honestly, I'm not sure why Origin wouldn't properly download and install on your system.  Its recent issues were with Yosemite, not El Capitan (and Mojave, but that's another story).  You have enough free storage on your computer, although I suppose it's possible that you had much less before uninstalling TS4.  Still, you should be able to install Origin now, especially on a new user account.  (By the way, macbook airs don't have dedicated graphics cards, so you're not missing anything there.)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about how Origin works on macs will have better advice for you, but in the meantime, you can try the other steps outlined in this troubleshooting thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p/5371659...

Message 6 of 10 (1,796 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you so much! I'll try anything at this point. I really appreciate all your help!
Message 7 of 10 (1,784 Views)

@EHalden

Could you please run the Origin reset tool then launch Origin again. If it won't load at all please let us know how far it got into launching - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

The link that puzzlezaddict provided has loads of great tips. Definitely check the proxy settings on your Mac and also flush the DNS.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 10 (1,767 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just ran tests on my hardware and software then cleared my caches again and it magically started working! I have no clue what exactly fixed it but I'm sure it was a combination of all of the advice.

Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 10 (1,754 Views)

@EHalden

Clearing the cache probably Standard smile If you use the reset tool it clears everything for you, it’s a very nifty script.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 10 of 10 (1,737 Views)