Re: Optimal Graphic settings for Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2015) ?

by legasimmer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Optimal Graphic settings for Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2015) ?

★★ Novice

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had a similar computer to mine (specs down below) and if they could share their graphics settings for sims 4. My mac overheats a lot and I really want the game to run better with less lag. Also with island living out, I was wondering how high the graphic settings can go without causing overheating. Thank you Standard smile

Specs: 

-macOS Mojave (Version 10.14.2)

-It is a macbook pro retina 15inch, mid 2015

-2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

-16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

-Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Message 1 of 3 (5,367 Views)

Accepted Solution

@LucyCatx

Your Mac shouldn't overheat, is it shutting itself down? Makes sure it's elevated so air can circulate underneath, it will get hot when playing.

Unfortunately Intel graphics just aren't cut out for gaming so you will have to compromise and lower graphics settings to minimise lag.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (5,333 Views)

All Replies

@LucyCatx

Your Mac shouldn't overheat, is it shutting itself down? Makes sure it's elevated so air can circulate underneath, it will get hot when playing.

Unfortunately Intel graphics just aren't cut out for gaming so you will have to compromise and lower graphics settings to minimise lag.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 3 (5,334 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hey! Our Macs have similar specs! I'm also on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro and I think the only difference is that my processor is faster than yours, so you might need to adjust a little, but I play with:

Sims on Medium: Objects on Low; Lights on Medium; Reflections on Medium; Visual Effects on Low; Anti-Aliasing on High; 3D resolution on Low; Render distance on High. Finally, my resolution is 1,280x800, Retina is off, Laptop Mode is off (more on that later), and Post effects are off.

These are the settings that I found worked best for my tastes. Personally I couldn't stand laptop mode, BUT it will make your game run much more smoothly, and you should be able to handle a higher resolution if you do select it. Try around to see what works for you, maybe you can use my settings as a basis. I have next to no lag right now. For the overheating, as @Bluebellflora said, make sure your Mac can breathe, and maybe check how full your SSD is, because that can't help either.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 3 (5,310 Views)