Re: No Longer Able to Play due to Video Card???? Never had issue before

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No Longer Able to Play due to Video Card???? Never had issue before

★★★★★ Novice

I've played 1920 hours of Sims 4 on this laptop. I own all expansion, game and stuff packs. I never had an issue with the game before. I was able to play Snowy Escape no problem before the new patch. After the patch I was unable to open Origin. I would click on the app on my dock and it would bounce once and then quit, no error or anything just stopped. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and repaired the app multiple times. Finally I tried the Safe Boot option and Origin opened. I went to play Sims 4 and for the first time ever received a notification that I needed to download legacy. I did not have to before the patch. Fine, whatever. I downloaded it and was met with an error telling me my video card did not meet the minimum requirements. After lots of googling I was able to find my video card info - sure enough it did not meet the minimum requirements. Confused, due to playing the game for 1920 hours without ever having an issue when loading and playing the game, I contacted EA Help - they told me that there was a glitch that allowed me to play the game with no problem before but now that it's fixed I am not able to play any of the new packs that I had played for and semi enjoyed (let's be real Sims 4 packs lack HARD) and after a long discussion of how I can still play the games I had paid for they had suggested I create a new administrative user account on my MacBook Air and install the game on that account to try playing. I did that. Still in safe boot I had installed all the games except for the newest Snowy Escape pack, the awful Star Wars pack and the legacy pack. I pressed play and was told yet again to download the Legacy pack. I did so reluctantly and was met with the Video Card error yet again.

I genuinely do not understand. I have played this game for 1920 hours (I was unemployed for quite some time lol) and had never had a video card error. Now after this patch I can't play at all. Even with this dumb legacy pack.

Someone please help me. I tested positive for COVID yesterday unfortunately and wanted to spend my time in quarantine playing Sims 4 and I can't even do that.

I just want to play this game.

Before the patch I was even able to finally enjoy Sims 3 again due to the new 64bit option. After the patch I can't even play that. EAHelp told me that my computer was not 64bit compatible yet before the patch I was able to play the 64bit game with no problem. Help please.

Message 1 of 3 (232 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice
@magicmeadows I went off safe boot and went into my new user for sims and am able to play again (with legacy, snowy escape and Star Wars pack still uninstalled) :D

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (202 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice
@magicmeadows I went off safe boot and went into my new user for sims and am able to play again (with legacy, snowy escape and Star Wars pack still uninstalled) :D
Message 2 of 3 (203 Views)

@magicmeadows

Starting up in Safe Mode disables certain processes and will force you to play the Legacy Edition - don't do it. The game will not recognise your Metal supported graphics chip.

If you boot normally into your Mac you should be running the current version of the game. Right click on the game in your Origin games library and repair it then load again and look at the version number at the bottom of the main menu, what is it?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (182 Views)