Re: New graphics card unsupported

by EliasVersace

Original Post

New graphics card unsupported

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi!

I have a problem playing the game on my new iMac (generation 2020). The game starts to glitch and crash after a while, and the reason seems to be my graphics card that is very new and isn't supported yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for EA to add recognized graphics cards to their list? My AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB card just came out last month (august 2020). All the other graphics cards in the same line are already supported by the game.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 25 (763 Views)

@EliasVersace

You can add it manually - https://bluebellflora.com/sims-4-how-to-add-your-gpu-to-the-graphicscards-sgr-file/

Shout if you need any help but it's very easy to do Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 25 (736 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you! I just figured that out and added it manually! The game runs smoother now on ultra settings (which my GPU should be able to handle easily). However, the game keeps glitching on one specific lot in Del Sol Valley. First the building on that lot glitches out with small spots in different colors, and then the in-game screen becomes checkered (a checkered mixture of my desktop screen and my Sims game). I can't figure out if it's the game or my iMac that is the problem... Should I run some tests on different settings?

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 25 (731 Views)

@EliasVersace

Could you attach your Config.log file here?

Play in windowed mode, does the glitch affect the entire desktop or just the game window?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 25 (726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Yes, I've attached it! The glitch only affects the game window and not the entire desktop. Also, the glitch comes in different variations - sometimes the game freezes with the checkered texture, and sometimes the in-game screen turns dark. All the sounds (active Sims) keep playing.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 5 of 25 (724 Views)

★ Apprentice
@EliasVersace I tested again for the second time without my mods folder and the freeze / glitch on that lot keeps happening.
Message 6 of 25 (721 Views)

@EliasVersace

Thanks. Could you disable Origin in-game - https://bluebellflora.com/2017/12/23/disable-origin-in-game/ and test with a new Sims 4 folder so none of your current content is loaded.

Could you also post a couple of screenshots showing the issue?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 25 (687 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I've disabled Origin in-game, reinstalled the game and the DLC, and removed my save folder (that was still there after reinstalling.) With no saves and mods the glitching still occurs. It looks like it's bound specifically to that one lot in Del Sol Valley. In other worlds the game runs smoothly, but I haven't play tested for longer than half an hour. There seems to be no lag except for the Del Sol Valley lot. I can't figure out if it's a glitch in the game or has to do with my graphics card... 

The lag starts a few seconds after loading the lot. 

In window mode it's black with some shadows (only visible on left side here)

Lag.jpg

In Full screen it's this:

IMG-4339.jpg

Message 8 of 25 (684 Views)

@EliasVersace

Eww that's horrible! Could you share your save with me? Upload to a file sharing site and DM me the link.

When you uninstall it doesn't remove the Sims 4 folder that contains your saves/mods/tray etc. files. Can you please move this whole folder to the desktop and then load that lot again and see if it still happens?

Which specific lot in Del Sol Valley is it?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 25 (674 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

It is! It is frustrating too because this computer and graphics card should be able too run the game easily on the highest settings. I started a vanilla save after reinstalling without any other saves in my folder. I played around for 30 minutes without any lag or inconvenience, did some simple gameplay and then visited that one lot in Del Sol Valley, the Orchid A Go Go, to test it out and it started to lag and freeze again in the same way. I will DM you the link! Standard smile 

Message 10 of 25 (672 Views)