Re: New Update- Sims 4- MacOS

by Vanidorr

Original Post

New Update- Sims 4- MacOS

★ Novice

I am over the moon upset right now. Recently The Sims 4/EA announced that they will no longer be supporting Sims on MacOS. I happen to have a MacBook Air and I just went to play, but I can't. They told me ot turn off my automatic updates, and I did. But this is a required update to even open the game. I bought the game for $70.00 (Canadian dollars) and I also happen to own every single expansion, stuff, and game pack...... I have spent SO MUCH MONEy on this game over the last few years. and now I can't play. I am so upset and I feel like crying. I need an explanation on why there is no more support, and why this update is so mandatory???? I am very very upset with Sims and EA right now, actually scratch that, I'm disgusted. I have given over $800 Canadian dollars to this company, and out of the blue, my gaming system is not longer supported. Being upset is an understatement.

Message 1 of 9 (1,529 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am a Mac user too! I just did the update yesterday, and I went to play sims and it lost all my progress. I am struggling with figuring out how to reset this. I have nothing in my saves folder either! Ah! I am beyond upset! 

Message 2 of 9 (1,518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

HI there! Which OS are you running? Sims 4 will still run on Mac, it isn't being phased out at all. It still runs for me though I haven't updated to the new OS yet till the bugs are ironed out. There are some compatibility issues at the moment with the release of MacOS Catalina and older versions of MacOS like Lion for example. This is due to Apple changing their OS to stop support for 32bit applications. The Sims 4 is a 64bit program (according to my Macs settings) but some of its components are having compatibility issues.

Are you running Mac OS Lion by chance? What year model is your Mac?

Edit: If you are affected by the change to a fully compatible 64bit Sims 4 application, there WILL be a Legacy Edition for users who run MacOS Lion. The Legacy Edition will still be compatible with 32bit systems. Here is a link to more details on that: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7677539#M1...

Message 3 of 9 (1,509 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@panda11love there's a troubleshooting page for those having trouble after the Catalina OS update. Your issue sounds similar to those, but I'm not sure if it is. If it is though, you might find this page helpful:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Info-The-Sims-4-macOS-Catalina-Troubleshooting/m-p/82...
Message 4 of 9 (1,508 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! I learned that the Sims 4 will NOT play on Catalina whatsoever. So, I am currently in the process of downgrading back to Mojave. I updated the Sims as it always does, and went to play and it lost all my saves. I went to my saves folder and it’s empty. So, when I contacted EA support, he told me to update the OS on Mac. Well, here I am and it doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure I lost my whole community, houses, family and progress. 

Message 5 of 9 (1,483 Views)

@panda11love 

The Sims 4 does absolutely work in Catalina, you just need to do the following to stop it glitching out:

Error message - Unable to start: The Sims 4 is already running

• Move your Sims 4 folder to the desktop (this resets it back to default settings but all your data is safe in the folder you moved)
  • Launch the game to the main menu then quit
  • Open the Sims 4 folder you moved to the desktop then the saves folder. Select all your saves and drag them into the newly created saves folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4
  • Do the same for the Tray, Mods and Screenshots folders

Game very laggy/game freezing and cursor beach balling:

• Click on the game in your Games Library in Origin
  • Click on the little cog under the Play button for Settings
  • Click on Game Properties and uncheck the box for Enable Origin In Game for The Sims 4

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 9 (1,444 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora its just that I have an expansion pack at it was working just fine then all of a sudden its gone it says I still have it but the main menu says download to use. I'm so confused.
Message 7 of 9 (1,125 Views)

@abrahamlincbaldy

Can you please start your own thread detailing your issue and which specific Mac you have and which macOS you are running. This is an old thread.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 9 (1,095 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora It fine! I guess it was that I needed to update my game
Message 9 of 9 (919 Views)