New Mac book pro, 560x vs Vega 16 vs Vega 20

by ginandplatonic

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Mac book pro, 560x vs Vega 16 vs Vega 20

★ Novice

Hi, I want to buy the wife a MacBook Pro that will run the sims 4 without issue with decent FPS and high graphics settings.

i know windows is cheaper, looking into those options, but what do people think the lowest gpu price wise out of those 3 will run it and at what FPS?

i want a smooth experience, and whilst we are somewhat breaking the bank I want to know how much we need to break it!

there is more than just the sims that will be required but this is what will likely be the most gpu intensive, unless she gets Detroit become human.

link to what we are looking at (note the gpu choice, which is the only thing we might change, ram and cpu will not be upgraded):

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-grey-2.3ghz-8-core-processor-with-tu...

thanks for any and all advice Standard smile

Message 1 of 5 (1,892 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: New Mac book pro, 560x vs Vega 16 vs Vega 20

@ginandplatonic

That MBP looks great and will be able to handle all settings on high. I have the 2017 model with AMD Radeon Pro 560 and all settings are high, the game looks stunning. Depending on resolution you should get a decent FPS. If you can afford it, go for the top GPU but you will be fine with the entry level one.

SSD will help, also the fab 8-core i9 Standard smile

Bear in mind that the OS will throttle power when it starts heating up so make sure to elevate it well or sit it on a cooling pad.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (1,857 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice
@ginandplatonic Oh and assume all packs like seasons, careers (I don’t know the real name) dogs and cats etc. Are to be installed!

The most useful article I’ve found is:
https://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-4-minimum-and-recommended-system-requirements-for-mac/
But I don’t know how smooth or high graphics I can go.
Message 2 of 5 (1,881 Views)

@ginandplatonic

That MBP looks great and will be able to handle all settings on high. I have the 2017 model with AMD Radeon Pro 560 and all settings are high, the game looks stunning. Depending on resolution you should get a decent FPS. If you can afford it, go for the top GPU but you will be fine with the entry level one.

SSD will help, also the fab 8-core i9 Standard smile

Bear in mind that the OS will throttle power when it starts heating up so make sure to elevate it well or sit it on a cooling pad.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 3 of 5 (1,858 Views)

★ Novice

Haha, it’s you! The sims 4 on Mac guru!

I was all set to do the purchase and then saw someone claiming that a new 16 inch mbp is due out in October? I  feel like I should wait to see what happens with that!

can I ask do you know what your FPS is as well on the 560X?

are we talking 45-55 or more like 60 or even more?

if I could upgrade the cheaper one to more storage without it costing about the same I totally would, 250gb just isn’t going to cut it, feel like apple have been very sneaky with that!

thank you for your reply! Over about 3’places I’ve asked it’s the first helpful reply that doesn’t just go “have you tried windows!”

Message 4 of 5 (1,845 Views)

@ginandplatonic 

Lol! Not really but I try Standard smile

I get about 25-30 FPS in windowed mode with a resolution of 3284x1930. My game looks like this:

06-29-19_9:20:35 PM.png

You'll get higher FPS with lower resolution. I'm also hoping the Metal upgrade will give the game a boost!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 5 (1,831 Views)