Moving Files from Windows to Mac

by plumbobliving

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Moving Files from Windows to Mac

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I am so technologically illiterate, so please bear with me. 

I, like so many others here, used to play TS3 on a Mac. Since purchasing a new one in late 2018, I've been unable to play. Obviously looking forward to the update... but here is my question.

I've been playing on my brother's computer which uses Windows, and I have a work computer that has Windows. If I were to boot the game up on one of those computers and play until the Mac release, could I transfer the save files/custom content to the Mac seamlessly or would I have to start over? 

Edited to fix spelling error.

Message 1 of 3 (381 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Moving Files from Windows to Mac

@plumbobliving  Yes, you could transfer your saves from Windows to macOS, and they should work fine, provided you have all the packs in macOS that you use in Windows.  (Saves don't respond well to being loaded with missing game content no matter what OS is involved.)

Custom content should be transferable too, although there are times when it doesn't work,like the files get corrupted in transfer.  The best approach is probably to zip your cc files together before transfer, then either move them via USB, or upload the .zip file to a free filesharing site and download it onto the Mac.

Store content may have to be reinstalled, although you could always try transferring it too and just delete the files if they're not read correctly.

If you'd like help with this process down the line, let me know.  This guide is a good overview of what's in your user folder, so you'd know what you wanted to keep:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Whatever approach you choose, it's best to launch the game once on the Mac, then copy the contents of various folders to the new folders that are created in the Mac version, rather than moving the folders themselves.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (369 Views)

All Replies

@plumbobliving  Yes, you could transfer your saves from Windows to macOS, and they should work fine, provided you have all the packs in macOS that you use in Windows.  (Saves don't respond well to being loaded with missing game content no matter what OS is involved.)

Custom content should be transferable too, although there are times when it doesn't work,like the files get corrupted in transfer.  The best approach is probably to zip your cc files together before transfer, then either move them via USB, or upload the .zip file to a free filesharing site and download it onto the Mac.

Store content may have to be reinstalled, although you could always try transferring it too and just delete the files if they're not read correctly.

If you'd like help with this process down the line, let me know.  This guide is a good overview of what's in your user folder, so you'd know what you wanted to keep:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Whatever approach you choose, it's best to launch the game once on the Mac, then copy the contents of various folders to the new folders that are created in the Mac version, rather than moving the folders themselves.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (370 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Awesome! Thanks so much. Standard smile 

I'll have to remember to touch base with you if I run into any trouble when the Mac update is released! 

Message 3 of 3 (366 Views)