MacBook Air excruciating loading times after new install

by watk96

Original Post

MacBook Air excruciating loading times after new install

★★★ Newbie

After downloading Parenthood last week, my game is now taking an excruciatingly long time to load (like at least 10 minutes per screen). I've done all the usual things like clearing Origin Cache, removing CC and Mods, repairing my game, and creating a new game folder, and it's still the same. Any help is appreciated!

I'm playing Sims 4 on a 2013 Macbook Air, and I know this is old and so likely this is the issue but I'm asking for help anyway. I have all expansions other than Eco and Get Famous and two game packs (Dine Out and Parenthood). While potentially a little slow or laggy sometimes before, it was never too bad. However last week I downloaded Parenthood and now my game takes at least 10 minutes to load each screen, and my computer sounds like a small plane taking off... 

I know Mac Airs don't have a lot of ram or storage space, but my startup disk says it has 40gb free so I figured it would be okay with another game pack, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll attach a system report.

Any and all help is welcome. Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (687 Views)

Re: MacBook Air excruciating loading times after new install

@watk96 

Thanks for the screenshots but they don't provide all the info. Just click on the Apple then About this Mac and provide all the info in the window, minus the serial key Standard smile

Clearing Origin cache isn't enough on a Mac, we have a reset tool that gets rid of all necessary files - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

After running the reset tool please move your whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop and launch a brand new clean game with none of your previous data. How is it?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 8 (680 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, thanks for this!

Having done all that and started a totally new folder it does seem to have got a bit quicker.

I've attached a screenshot of the About this Mac.

I guess I'll put my original Sims 4 folder back in and see if it works okay with my old saves now?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8 (657 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@watk96 Okay so it's still taking ages with my old saves. Tried removing mods and cc and it seems somehow slower...
Message 4 of 8 (653 Views)

@watk96

Are your saves quite old? How big in size are they?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 8 (650 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora I've only been playing since like April, so not that old? And the biggest is 6.5MB and smallest is 2.1MB. (I'm not really sure what that means in terms of relativity to how big or small the save is, but they don't seem that big?)
Message 6 of 8 (607 Views)

@watk96

That sounds about normal. Would you mind sharing a save with me so I can see how long it takes to load for me? If so, please upload to a file sharing site and PM me the link Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 8 (595 Views)

@watk96 

Thanks for the save Standard smile

It loads in seconds for me. I did get this notification when I loaded it so perhaps you have CC which is slowing it down?

Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 18.21.01.png

The MacBook Air will also have low specs. which may be the cause.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 8 (529 Views)