Mac user - iMac Pro 5 2019 - RAM issue.

by Gednaa

Original Post

Mac user - iMac Pro 5 2019 - RAM issue.

★★★★★ Guide

As explained in my title to this new thread I have a Mac.  It has 8 gb RAM but obviously it needs more for Sims 4 as the fan is constantly on.  Can any other Mac use tell me how much RAM I can get away with if I upgrade.  I don't want to go into overkill but would like to beef it up.  Thanks if anyone can help.  Also I don't seem to be able to find out which processor I have although I've found it to be Intel. RAM I need is 2667 MHz DDK4.  I have 4 slots, two used making 8gb.  

I put this in general discussion because it's not a directly related to the game problem.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20 (784 Views)

Re: Mac user - iMac Pro 5 2019 - RAM issue.

@Gednaa 

Moved your post to the Mac tech forum.

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The amount of RAM you have will not have a bearing on the fan speed. That is controlled by the OS to mitigate overheating caused by the workload to the CPU, and dedicated GPU if you have one. If you can provide the specs it will help.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 20 (762 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Bluebellflora Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 8 GB
System Firmware Version: 1554.80.3.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.46f12
Hardware UUID: 0F8E6095-E35E-5BC7-9B87-191D9253B8F2
Provisioning UDID: 0F8E6095-E35E-5BC7-9B87-191D9253B8F2

Thanks so much! At least I know what processor I have now, must have missed this las time I looked in the About this Mac box! Interesting what you said about the issue with the fan. Hope this help throw more light on things and thanks again! Standard smile
Message 3 of 20 (750 Views)

@Gednaa

Thanks but I just need the info in About This Mac, hardware overview doesn’t provide a full picture.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 20 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@BluebellfloraDoh! Silly me. I see...

Mac OS Big Sur
Version 11.2.1
iMac (Retina 5k 27-inch, 2019
Processor 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 57OX 4GB

I have No antivirus as my BT McAfee stopped working with Big Sur, but I'll be getting on asap!  I have tried without mods, but the problem persists. Cleaned cache.  Turned off as many background apps as I can, but still a very hot computer.  Moved all my photos and videos to iCloud.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 20 (738 Views)

@Gednaa

Thanks Standard smile

I have a 2019 iMac too:

27” 2019 5k
macOS 11.2
3.6 GHz 8-core i9
8GB AMD Radeon Pro 580X
32 GB RAM

and the fans are noisy for me too because of the way I play. I play in windowed mode at a very high resolution. The game runs great though and I can have it playing for hours.

You would need to lower the graphics settings in-game so less power is required from the GPU, hence less heat produced and therefore less work for the fans to do.

If you wanted to upgrade the RAM it is very easy to do yourself. I bought mine with 8GB and immediately upgraded to 32GB.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 20 (732 Views)

@Gednaa

Forgot to add, I never have antivirus installed in any of my Macs.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 20 (730 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Bluebellflora Great to find another Mac user and thanks for the help. I do indeed use windowed mode but I turned down the graphics when I had Eco installed and it was still a very noisy, hot Mac! I only got the antivirus with my Broadband, but for months they haven't bothered to upgrade to Big Sur. I have a clean out with Clean My Mac and keep background apps to a minimum. I'll try again and use full screen and lower the graphics again, now that I don't have Eco installed it will hopefully manage. I'll still get more RAM as I'm a musician and need the memory for the amount of software involved. Thanks again! Standard smile
Message 8 of 20 (708 Views)

@Gednaa

We have a whole Mac forum! What resolution do you play at?

Cleaning apps are awful, really, really awful. They can remove system files resulting in OS instability and requiring an OS reinstall.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 20 (700 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Bluebellflora currently at resolution 5120 x 2880, and all other graphics at medium, but thinking of going lower as my Mac is getting stuck, i.e the mouse won't move. I've had to exit Sims now so that I could post this reply. That doesn't usually happen. I've ordered extra ram 32gb which will be arriving tomorrow and am hoping it will help. I shall try lowering the graphics again, but it's starting to look pretty awful! Thanks for the link to the Mac Forum. Yay! Much appreciated. Standard smile
Message 10 of 20 (692 Views)