Re: [Mac] Unable to locate Sunset Valley.world file

by simmlish_22

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Mac] Unable to locate Sunset Valley.world file

★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone! I'm looking to spice up my game a little by downloading "Sunset Valley 2020." However, I'm playing on a MAC and the directions are for PC. The folks who made SV2020 say it should be playable on a Mac as long as you replace the .world files and download the saves correctly. I'm not sure I'm looking for the files in the right place.

The SV2020 instructions are to go to look for the "Sunset Valley.world" file in Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds/. I'm able to find my EA and Sims 3 folder in Documents, but the GameData and subsequent folders aren't there. However, there is an "InstalledWorlds" folder that has .world files, but only for worlds that I have from the store--Sunset Valley isn't in there. If I search for "Sunset Valley.world" on my mac, nothing comes up.

I know the file has to be somewhere on my computer, because I can start a new game in Sunset Valley or one of the non-store, expansion pack worlds. But I'm drawing a blank.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 3 (1,826 Views)

Accepted Solution

@simmlish_22  The directions for finding the .world file are actually supposed to point to the program files in Windows; a disc install will put those files in Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\etc. by default.  (For an Origin install, the folder would be Origin Games rather than Electronic Arts.)

So rather than looking in Documents, you need to open the package contents of the Sims 3.app.  That's in either Applications or the user Applications folder, which you can reach by clicking on Macintosh HD (or whatever you've renamed your hard disk) in a Finder window and selecting Users > your username > Applications.  From there, the file path is:

The Sims 3.app > Contents > Resources > The Sims 3.app > Contents > GameData > Shared > NonPackaged > Worlds

When you want to open an .app, right-click (or hold crtl and click) on it and select "Show Package Contents."

I haven't personally used SV2020, so I don't know whether there are any issues with it in the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  There shouldn't be, but you never know.  Point is, keep an eye out and be ready to bail if you get weird glitchiness.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,804 Views)

All Replies

@simmlish_22  The directions for finding the .world file are actually supposed to point to the program files in Windows; a disc install will put those files in Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\etc. by default.  (For an Origin install, the folder would be Origin Games rather than Electronic Arts.)

So rather than looking in Documents, you need to open the package contents of the Sims 3.app.  That's in either Applications or the user Applications folder, which you can reach by clicking on Macintosh HD (or whatever you've renamed your hard disk) in a Finder window and selecting Users > your username > Applications.  From there, the file path is:

The Sims 3.app > Contents > Resources > The Sims 3.app > Contents > GameData > Shared > NonPackaged > Worlds

When you want to open an .app, right-click (or hold crtl and click) on it and select "Show Package Contents."

I haven't personally used SV2020, so I don't know whether there are any issues with it in the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  There shouldn't be, but you never know.  Point is, keep an eye out and be ready to bail if you get weird glitchiness.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (1,805 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Sometimes PC directions are similar enough I can find the files in their different locations. But I always forget you can just right-click on the app itself, and it worked!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 3 (1,787 Views)