Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

by aagaard_pedersen

Original Post

Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

★★★★★ Apprentice

I just started having the same issue today. I've reset Origin, deleted EVERYTHING origin from my mac, installed a new one, even went into time machine to load one from a few days ago and still get the same message saying I can't open it because someone else is using it. No, it is not open on any other computer, this is it. I can't get in no matter what I do.

Message 11 of 41 (5,871 Views)

★★★ Novice
@neuroticnelly Same here, it worked this morning, I had some kind of weird shutdown from my computer it's not working ever since... I'm wondering if since the shut down the app somehow still thinks it's open in the previous session ?? will try a full reboot, maybe it'll set things straight
Message 12 of 41 (5,851 Views)

★★★ Novice
@neuroticnelly Alright I rebooted and it's working!! I hope you figure out why it's not working on your end
Message 13 of 41 (5,847 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi. ive got this same problem. how do you reboot?

Message 14 of 41 (5,705 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Message 15 of 41 (5,705 Views)

[ Edited ]

@hopemuir

They restarted their Mac, this logs out all active user accounts.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 16 of 41 (5,681 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This also happened to me, I was on zoom and sims 4 was open in the background, so I thought that when my computer did a weird restart without me restarting it my computer had crashed from the two applications. I opened it back up, and my zoom was working but my sims 4 was not there. Later that night I went to play sims and it showed the message, 'You can't open the application "Origin" because someone else is using it.' with a finder icon next to it. I followed the advice of #2 by going to the go and library folders and downloading a new origin, but it did not work. I followed the advice of simply resetting my computer, and that did work. Hope this helpsStandard smile

Message 17 of 41 (5,152 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

I had the same problem, and I was going to reinstall the game but decided to restart my Mac first, and then Origin just opened like usual when I log in, so that might work for you guys too?

Message 18 of 41 (5,073 Views)

★★★ Newbie

are you *? that literally deletes origin.

Message 19 of 41 (4,914 Views)

@KillerFrost3333

Using the Origin reset tool? No it doesn't. It gets rid of all Cache/Preference/Saved State and other files that can cause connection and loading issues.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 20 of 41 (4,906 Views)