You can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

by Elechick

Original Post

Accepted Solution

You can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hey there,

I'm having issues with opening my Origin account. Whenever I click on Origin, it comes up with this message:

'You can't open the application "Origin" because someone else is using it.'

I recently updated my mac software and I had Origin open before the update was installed/restarted. I was wondering how to fix this. 

At first I thought it was a security issue and so I changed my password and added an app authenticator to my account, but it's still not working.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I would like to play my Sims 4 game Standard smile

Edit - removed Mac tag from title, not necessary in the Mac forum, Bluebellflora

Message 1 of 41 (50,397 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

This should solve your problem:

1. Open Activity Monitor
    • How to open:   Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor
  2. Search for: origin
    • (The search bar should be in the top right corner)
    • After searching, you should see something called OriginClient
  3. Click OriginClient

4. Look for a little x button (usually in the top left), and click it to 'Force Quit' the running OriginClient process

5. Close the Activity Monitor window and you should now be free to open Origin the way that you usually do

Please don't mess around with ActivityMonitor by force-quitting random things if you don't know what you're doing. For simple things like closing the OriginClient, or force-quitting GoogleChrome when it's not responding, this is a harmless and a simple procedure. Just note some processes are running for a reason, and your operating system is relying on them - so try not to get carried away. Enjoy

View in thread

Message 22 of 41 (44,017 Views)

All Replies

Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

[ Edited ]

@Elechick

Are you really sure you don't have it open on another computer without realising it? Is this the error message you are getting?

Origin Login

Could you try the following:

1. In Finder (click anywhere on the desktop or open a Finder window) click on Go in the menu bar.
  2. Hold down the Alt/Option key and click on the Library folder that appears in the drop down menu.
  3. In the Finder window that appears open the Application Support folder then delete the Origin folder within
  4. Now try opening Origin again. It will be like you haven't opened it before.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 41 (50,285 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I have tried to follow these steps many times, but its not really working for me. I have a MAC so I thought I would get the same notification, but I'm not. Its not the same as you. Every time I try and open Origin it says I can't because "Someone else is using it" then it is followed by "Ask the other user to quit the application, and then try again." The only problem is no one else should be using it. Next to the notification there is a "Finder" icon. So I'm not sure if it is a problem with my origin being hacked or Finder. I already changed my password and adding a verification to my origin account just to make sure nothing is wrong. Just like you nothing had happened. I also would call Origin myself but its a Sunday and they are not opened. Frown 

Please, please, please help. I really want to play Sims 4.

Message 3 of 41 (50,246 Views)

@es_ile_97

Can you try the Origin reset tool - http://help.ea.com/uk/article/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 41 (50,243 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you fix it? Im having the same problem.

Message 5 of 41 (50,188 Views)

★★★ Newbie
it didn't work.
Message 6 of 41 (48,318 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem

I tried to use the tool but I still can't enter origin

Message 7 of 41 (48,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

@elagor0713

Are you sure you're not logged in on another computer? Origin doesn't quit when you close the game, it stays open.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 41 (48,314 Views)

★★ Novice

My origin just started doing this yesterday.  My friend is the only other person with it logged in and their computer is saying the same thing

Message 9 of 41 (46,326 Views)

@ryeinsims

You can only be logged into one account at a time.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 41 (46,314 Views)