[MAC] Sims 3 won't start!

by Kiameg17

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[MAC] Sims 3 won't start!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello, I reinstalled sims 3 and it didn't help, when I click the sims3 icon, it wont even launch, or show up in the menu.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the new Mac-apple system yosemite, but I read online people play sims3 even though they have yosemite, so I suppose that can't be it, PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 16 (22,450 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [MAC] Sims 3 won't start!

Champion (Retired)

@Kiameg17 wrote:

Hello, I reinstalled sims 3 and it didn't help, when I click the sims3 icon, it wont even launch, or show up in the menu.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the new Mac-apple system yosemite, but I read online people play sims3 even though they have yosemite, so I suppose that can't be it, PLEASE HELP.

Hi

I recently upgraded to Yosemite and my game seems to working normally, but there are a lot of people who seem to be having problems. It looks like it'**bleep**-and-miss.

If you reinstalled the game without cleaning out the old files, it may simply be that your new installation is conflicting with an old file. I would therefore try it again, cleanly uninstalling and then reinstall and patch the base game. Test that and see if works before spending too much time installing expansions or other content. Further instructions below.

Please also be aware that threads here are answered by volunteers - players just like yourself, not EA employees, many of us with full time jobs and family commitments, in our spare time, so it can take a while to be answered. Please show a little patience while we endeavour to help as many players as possible.

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac. Be sure to choose the right file - there are various 'regional' files for disc-users and one designated region 7 for Origin-users.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

View in thread

Message 3 of 16 (24,529 Views)

All Replies

updated my Mac to OS X Yosemite

★★★ Novice

Hey need a little help here, before I had yosemite I had sims3 downloaded and it worked just fine, I uninstalled sims3 before downloading yosemite on my macbook pro, and now when I install it from the CD It wont open up, and it seems like there is only the sims3 map, there is nothing called Electronic arts or anything. 

Message 2 of 16 (22,351 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Kiameg17 wrote:

Hi

I recently upgraded to Yosemite and my game seems to working normally, but there are a lot of people who seem to be having problems. It looks like it'**bleep**-and-miss.

If you reinstalled the game without cleaning out the old files, it may simply be that your new installation is conflicting with an old file. I would therefore try it again, cleanly uninstalling and then reinstall and patch the base game. Test that and see if works before spending too much time installing expansions or other content. Further instructions below.

Please also be aware that threads here are answered by volunteers - players just like yourself, not EA employees, many of us with full time jobs and family commitments, in our spare time, so it can take a while to be answered. Please show a little patience while we endeavour to help as many players as possible.

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac. Be sure to choose the right file - there are various 'regional' files for disc-users and one designated region 7 for Origin-users.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Message 3 of 16 (24,530 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you very much, now my game started up, and I am udating it now. 

Message 4 of 16 (22,320 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I tried this (idk where those com. items are but I couldn't find them anywhere on my computer) so I tried reinstalling and when I click "Play" a message comes up saying "unknown error occured"

WHAT DO I DO!?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice Frown

Message 5 of 16 (22,312 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@erinatoer23 wrote:

Hi,

I tried this (idk where those com. items are but I couldn't find them anywhere on my computer) so I tried reinstalling and when I click "Play" a message comes up saying "unknown error occured"

WHAT DO I DO!?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice Frown

Hello

You will need to provide a bit more info.

Is it just the base game that you have installed or expansion as well? Is it installed from discs or via Origin? Is the game fully patched? How much RAM does your Mac have? Any custom content installed into your game? Has it ever worked before or is this the first time you have tried it?

Caspin

Message 6 of 16 (22,286 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me!

Its off of Orgigin and I downloaded the High end Loft expansion but the night life expansion wouldnt download. I then upgraded to Yosemite OS on my MAC. The base game and the high end loft expansion still worked fine after updating my OS.

I uninstalled all of my Sims to try and reinstall the base game and patches to get night life to download. 

I only reinstalled the base game off of Origin and now it won't open. I haven't installed anything else yet. 

My MAC has 2.3 GHz i7 processor and 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory. so it should work fine.

Message 7 of 16 (22,280 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@erinatoer23 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me!

Its off of Orgigin and I downloaded the High end Loft expansion but the night life expansion wouldnt download. I then upgraded to Yosemite OS on my MAC. The base game and the high end loft expansion still worked fine after updating my OS.

I uninstalled all of my Sims to try and reinstall the base game and patches to get night life to download. 

I only reinstalled the base game off of Origin and now it won't open. I haven't installed anything else yet. 

My MAC has 2.3 GHz i7 processor and 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory. so it should work fine.

Hi

It should work, yes, but you never know with Sims on Mac! I also have 16 GB of memory, which is a lot, but nonetheless I still need to manually purge my RAM when playing to prevent it from crashing because of the inefficient way that the game uses memory.

Anyway, I think it is possible that you either have a corrupt download from Origin or you have some leftover files from previous installations that are now causing conflict.

I would recommend that you cleanly uninstall the TS3 game and associated files from your computer, then install the base game and patch it with the manual superpatch. Instructions for doing this correctly are below in sections 1 and 2. If you wish to use Origin, also see the additional guidance in section 3 below.

1. Clean uninstall and reinstall

2. Further information on the cumulative manual superpatch

Many simmers find that patching their game via the Game Updates tab of the Launcher does not work properly. It is then better to download and apply the manual superpatch. It is important to download the Mac version rather than the PC version, and to pick the right one for your region. Be aware that if you are using a disc you need to choose the correct 'regional' file but if you are using digital download through Origin then you should use the file designated 'region 7'.

Instructions and the links to the downloads can be found in the Mac section of the forums at thesims.com here:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/549552/official-ea-download-links-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

If you use any mods or custom content, be sure to remove them before patching.

3. Using Origin to install games on Mac

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

4. Tips for Mac simmers

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. Close down other things that are running in the background. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

The game runs better if you switch off the memories system and disable the in-game Store and social features.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Message 8 of 16 (22,267 Views)

★ Novice

ı have this problem too!but when ı do uninstall from the sims 3 folder there is no problem.but when ı am dowland island paradise this problem is starting again

Message 9 of 16 (21,389 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Lol dude the term is hit and miss not * and miss. You didn't need the **bleep**.

Message 10 of 16 (17,617 Views)