(MAC) Installing Games when don't have a disc drive

by LaytonBell

Original Post

Accepted Solution

(MAC) Installing Games when don't have a disc drive

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

How do I install a game if I don't have a disk drive on my MacBook Pro? I have played on PCs for years and also did many Origin downloads but for my Ambition and Generations they are both on a disk and I really want to play with those installed but I don't know where to go to install them. 

I have the serial codes and I registered them on my Sims 3 account but it still won't let me install them. 

Would really appreciate the help. 

Message 1 of 10 (33,343 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: (MAC) Installing Games when don't have a disc drive

@sbagley1977

No. Sims 1 will not play on any Intel Macs (since 2006-ish) and Sims 2 is only available from the Mac App Store.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (13,474 Views)

All Replies

Re: Installing Games onto a MAC that doesn't have a disc drive

★ Novice

if you have like a macbook air or pro you can go ahead and buy a dvd drive online or in stores , that dvd drive will include a usb to connect to your computer/laptop , so thats how you can download or burn your discs

Message 2 of 10 (33,137 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You can register the codes for the games that you have on discs with Origin, then download the whole lot through Origin. There is no need for discs or a disc drive if you do this.

The first thing to check is that your Mac is sufficiently up-to-date to be able to run the Origin client. It requires at least OS X 10.6.8 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

To download and install games through Origin:

First install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there.

For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Caspin

Message 3 of 10 (33,130 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, i try to put my code but it said that the code is not good anymore and i dont know what to do...

Message 4 of 10 (24,539 Views)

@sashacleme215

Have you registered the games previously under a different user name? If so you will need to be logged in to Origin using that account. If you haven't then you will need to contact customer support - http://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 10 (24,509 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Thank you!!
Message 6 of 10 (12,685 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Will the codes work from my old sims 2 and sim 1 games?

Message 7 of 10 (12,462 Views)

@sbagley1977

No. Sims 1 will not play on any Intel Macs (since 2006-ish) and Sims 2 is only available from the Mac App Store.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 10 (13,475 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What do you mean download the whole lot? How do I do this?

Message 9 of 10 (11,143 Views)

Champion

To which version of the Sims are you referring? Sims 2, 3 or 4? Sims 1 does not work on Mac at this time as Aspyr (the company that ported the Mac version of the game) has not updated the code to work on any of the current versions of Apple computers. Sims 2 is a limited port in that it includes everything up to and including Bon Voyage, but nothing past it. It is available in the Mac App Store for about $20 US. Sims 3 and 4 are available as digital downloads from Origin. Please read the troubleshooting thread regarding Sims 3 before installing it on any post 2013 Macs. (This includes iMacs, MacBook and MacBook Airs).

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 10 of 10 (11,127 Views)