Lost Saved Files

by kqyshan

Original Post

Lost Saved Files

★★★ Novice

Hi!

I recently bought upgraded to a new Macbook Pro 2020 from a Macbook Pro 2013.

I embarked looking to transfer my saved files from my old mac to my new but I could not find my saved files ANYWHERE.

1. I searched 'slot' in the entire mac to look for any kind of saved Sims file. Nothing.

2. I tried creating a new random sim, closing the game and reopening to see if my old saved household/game shows up. Only the new random sim turned up.

3. There is nothing to restore in my iCloud Drive, in case it was uploaded and deleted there for some reason.

Someone please help ): I am so crashed. I want to quit Sims 4 all together at this point... T_T

Message 1 of 20 (842 Views)

Re: Lost Saved Files

@kqyshan

Have you looked in Documents > Electronic Arts? The Electronic Arts folder is hidden from a Spotlight search on your Mac if it is in the Documents folder, it will never find it if it is in the correct location.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 20 (826 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora Hi!

Yes I've looked there and even in my iCloud. It's all empty... ):

More info if it helps,

1. My old macbook is on El Capitan so I am unable to uncheck the desktop option in iCloud, it's not available.

2. Under documents > electronic arts> the sims 4 > saves, the saves folder is empty

The last time i played, was perhaps a couple of weeks ago and it was still fine. I do regular updates when Origin prompts to.

I prefer not to update my old mac as i worry it would slow down the mac too much since it's pretty old.

I only transferred particular things over to my new mac, music, photos, videos. I didnt touch my applications or Sims during the manual transfer.

Message 3 of 20 (797 Views)

@kqyshan 

Ok. Let's search properly in Terminal. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste the following command then hit Enter/Return:

find ~ -type d -name "*saves*" 2>/dev/null

It may take a little while to return the results. When it's done and shows the command prompt again please copy and paste the results and post them here.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 20 (783 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

Last login: Sun Jun 28 21:56:45 on ttys000

Shans-MBP:~ khooqiyingshan$ find ~ -type d -name "*saves*" 2>/dev/null

/Users/khooqiyingshan/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves

/Users/khooqiyingshan/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves

Shans-MBP:~ khooqiyingshan$

Message 5 of 20 (778 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kqyshan

Thanks Standard smile The first result is the saves folder you said was empty. The second result is an iCloud backup where they may be. In Finder, click on Go in the menu bar then Go To Folder... then ente

~/Library/Mobile Documents

and click Go. A Finder window should open and you should find the backup.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 20 (769 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

Oh i checked here already. This was the iCloud which i meant was empty too. Besides my library/doc in my old mac itself. ):

Message 7 of 20 (749 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora Hi! Sorry to disturb but would you be able to provide other solutions? Was this an EA issue where the patch around May/June deleted saved files?

Message 8 of 20 (585 Views)

@kqyshan

No, nothing changed with the way the game loads saves but maybe something has changed with the way your Mac is storing files? Did you run the search in Terminal again?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 20 (582 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora nothing changed. my files just disappeared after the patch update. the live EA chat wasnt helpful either.. he just said it's gone because i didnt do manual backups. that's very silly as a consumer i dont expect this to happen.
Message 10 of 20 (570 Views)